There were dragons, sorcerers and werewolves Saturday at the 2010 Fantasy Author Event at the Ohio State Barnes and Noble bookstore, which featured 25 authors in the fantasy genre.

Some of the authors are highly praised in their genre, such as award-winning author Joe Haldeman, whose science fiction novel “The Forever War” won the Nebula award for best novel in 1975. The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America gives the awards to the best writers in those genres. Past winners include Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimov.

“I did stop by to say hello to one of my favorite authors, Joe Haldeman. I’m teaching one of his novels in my 372 (Science Fiction and/or Fantasy) class this term,” said Maura Heaphy, an OSU English professor. “I wanted to tell him how the class thought the book was great. Authors like to hear that.”

Assistant store manager Doug Shelnutt said the event was meant to allow interaction with authors in the genre.

“We opened it to the public and encouraged students to come in and talk to all these different writers about their different fantasy genres and what got them into it,” Shelnutt said.  “It promoted finding your next favorite fantasy writer.”

Dan Wells, author of “I Am Not A Serial Killer” and the sequel, “Mr. Monster,” was present at the event. His series is about a teenager who discovers he is a serial killer, but vows not to let it consume him until a less-morally-driven killer comes to town.

Wells said “Mr. Monster” is doing better than “I Am Not A Serial Killer,” which he said is a good sign for a series. He was giving out “I am not a serial killer” buttons to draw interested readers to his table.

Catherynne Valente described her novel “Palimpsest” as a story about a sexually transmitted city that one can get to by sleeping with someone who has already been there.

“I wish I could take a picture of everybody’s face when I tell them that,” Valente said.

Shelnutt said that, overall, the event was a success.

“It was challenging for (Resident Advisers and hall directors) to find fun non-alcoholic Halloween events they could do for their students,” Shelnutt said. “We had people coming in in costumes and in groups … and it was a fun, fantastic event.”