Bruno Mars has already made himself into a household name thanks to singing the hooks for hit singles by other artists: “Nothin’ On You” by B.o.B and “Billionaire” by Travie McCoy. The question is whether he can make an album for himself.

Mars’ debut, “Doo-Wops & Hooligans,” answers the question positively.

His first single, “Just the Way You Are,” uses the same soft falsetto and attitude that made Mars a heartthrob earlier this year in “Nothin’ on You.” The single itself is catchy and enjoyable but what is truly impressive is Mars’ ability to craft a single about a woman without sexually degrading her (e.g. Lil Jon, another artist who got big singing hooks for others). The track has sincerity, a quality lacking in pop music.

One of the few mistakes on the album is placing “Just the Way You Are” as the second track. Album-opener “Grenade” works great as a ballad but is a downer at the beginning of a generally upbeat album.

Also impressive is Mars’ ability to shift between different forms of popular music. Simple singing and strumming is his obvious forte but he feels just as at home while tackling other styles.

“Our First Time” is perfect in its smooth imitation of R&B, “Runaway Baby” hails back to classic rock ‘n’ roll and “The Lazy Song” features a reggae-style “skank” guitar riff. Reggae star Damian Marley also makes an appearance on “Liquor Store Blues.”

Some of the songs toward the end of the album slip into mediocrity, Mars’ songwriting style keeps most of the tracks fun. He has some crass moments during “Lazy Song,” but it comes across less awkwardly thanks to his “we’re all friends here” approach.

Mars lived up to the expectations set by his work with other artists. Now he can enjoy some popularity by his own accord.