First-year women’s lacrosse coach Alexis Venechanos said she is still learning about her players and her young team is still trying to get better. “We have a lot to work on but we’re happy how it’s early in the season, and we have some time,” Venechanos said. The Buckeyes lost to No. 9 Stanford, 17-5, on Saturday. “Stanford is a tremendous team and you can tell they are the more experienced team right now,” Venechanos said. Venechanos, who was named coach in July 2010 following former coach Sue Stimmel’s resignation, said that being here since the fall has made the transition a little bit easier. “The fall was a smooth transition in getting to know the team,” she said. Venechanos has been a part of four national championship teams, two as a player at Maryland and two as an assistant coach at Northwestern. Having been in those positions, she said she isn’t worried about the tough loss to Stanford. “These tough games will get us in better situations toward the end of the season,” she said. Junior midfielder Alayna Markwordt agreed that having the new coach since the summer has made the change a little easier. “It’s been a good transition,” she said. “We’ve learned a lot this year.” The Buckeyes won their two previous games against American University and St. Bonaventure before the loss to Stanford. Markwordt said the team is looking to avoid these types of losses when it had played well the two games before. “We’re waiting for that moment where we put it all together,” Markwordt said. OSU (2-3) will look to bounce back as it hosts Canisius (1-1) at 1 p.m. Monday at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.