Nearly a decade after the formation of alternative-rock group Anberlin, the band is still eagerly making music and touring around the country promoting their most recent album “Dark Is the Way, Light Is a Place.”

Anberlin is accompanying fellow alternative-rock band Switchfoot and will make their seventh stop at Newport Music Hall on Friday.

Nathan Young, drummer for Anberlin, summed up his thoughts to The Lantern on the band’s 10-year existence in one word: “Crazy.”

“I can’t believe it’s been 10 years, I never thought it would last this long,” Young said. “But I’m glad it did.”

Young said the band feels blessed and thankful for its success and each other.

“It’s weird, we all still love each other,” he said. “So that’s a good thing.”

Young wants the band to really showcase an aggressive sound on tour.

“We want to make it sound alive,” Young said. “Our goal is to take the songs and make them more energetic live.”

Young said the newest album takes a different direction than previous album, “New Surrender,” and has a clearer vision.

“For us personally, this album is a huge step forward,” Young said. “We put more thought into it and it portrays us both as individuals and as a band.”

When Anberlin and Switchfoot combined for the tour, Young said the two groups “clicked.”

“We all get along and feel close already,” Young said. “So far it’s been great.”

Anberlin is scheduled for 22 stops between Sept. 22 and Oct. 22, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t planning to accomplish plenty on this 30-day tour.

“The best show we can put on is what we want,” Young said. “To do something different and set ourselves apart from Switchfoot and other bands.”

Megan Huck, an Ohio State graduate student studying social work, is a fan of Anberlin’s sound.

“I like their style of music,” Huck said. “I tend to find that I thoroughly enjoy about five songs on each album and play those on repeat until I get sick of them. The newest album isn’t an exception.”

Huck said she will not be attending Friday’s concert because she has already attended a few of their shows.

While Huck is a fan of Anberlin, she’s not as sure about other students.

“I think a lot of students aren’t familiar with them, at least not many people I’ve talked to,” she said. “They don’t seem to be an incredibly mainstream one that everyone has heard of or seen music videos of. However, I do think they put on a good show and won’t disappoint the OSU students who do go.”

Michael Kowalczyk, a second-year in pre-pharmacy, said he hadn’t heard of the band so he will not attend the show

Young said OSU students that will be in attendance can expect a few things.

“A good time, energy, and a lot of fun,” he said. “It usually gets rowdy.”

Doors for the show will open at 6 p.m.