Tuesday’s release of Marvel Studios’ first full-length “The Avengers” trailer proved the company has come a long way since Tobey Maguire’s angsty performance in “Spider-Man.”

Marvel has finally done the one thing comic-film fans have been waiting for: They spread the threat of danger beyond a racetrack, 7-Eleven, or the DC single-city method, to the entire planet. The trailer shows clips of city streets lined with the U.S. Army and police cars, the officers crouched behind their car doors with guns at the ready, and explosions flipping taxis through busy downtown streets.

Loki, the exiled brother of Thor, will be one of the villians. He opens the trailer with a creepy whisper not unlike the opening of the trailer for the summer hit, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — Part 2.”

The rest of the villains remain unknown, which might make viewers more impatient for the film’s release on May 4, 2012. Keeping the villains hidden is a good move for director Joss Whedon. Last year’s “Clash of the Titans” trailer gave away the only good part of the film: the legendary “Release The Kraken” scene, which quickly flooded the Internet. It’s certain the action and wit of Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark character will keep the movie going, but the suspense of the unknown is a nice addition.

While it is uncertain who will be bringing the threat to Earth, it is made clear that mankind will be sufficiently defended.

The original Avengers (think actual comic book) were comprised of Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Ant-Man and Wasp. The last two appear to remain nonexistent in the film’s take on this comic classic. Another face missing from the equation is Wolverine, who joined the group later in the comic series along with the likes of Spider-Man, who is, thankfully, also absent. But the absences are more than made up for with the presence of Stark, the ego behind Iron Man, Steve Rogers’ Captain America, Clint Barton’s Hawkeye, Thor, Bruce Banner as the Hulk, Nick Fury, and Natasha Romanoff bringing in the sex appeal with Black Widow.

The loss of Edward Norton as Banner was a disappointment, but with Mark Ruffalo as his replacement the film should be fine. The only problem with that is there doesn’t seem to be any explanation offered as to why Banner has completely changed in appearance. It’s reminiscent to the replacement of Aunt Viv in “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.” The green beast also appears to be slightly different. Marvel teased fans with brief glimpses of Ruffalo’s angry green monster, but for the most part kept him hidden.

As is always the case when putting so many dominant personalities on one team, there is conflict. Thor is seen smashing his mighty hammer down on fellow Avenger Captain America’s shield, and Rogers is seen challenging Stark, asking what he would be without his metal suit. Stark quickly replies “genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist,” proving that Downey Jr. will still be the wit carrying the comedic load in the new movie.

Scenes of Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow seductively twirling all over her adversaries, Hawkeye using his legendary bow to fuel the action and Downey Jr. spitting out eerie lines like “If we can’t save the world, we can damn sure avenge it,” the trailer left me and other comic nerds anxious to pre-order our tickets to the May 4 opening.