Former Ohio State men’s basketball sophomore forward J.D. Weatherspoon said on his Twitter account Tuesday that he will be transferring to Toledo and playing basketball for the university.

“I will be taking my talents to the university of Toledo thank you all for all the support whatever happens I still do it for COLUMBUS,” Weatherspoon tweeted from his Twitter handle, @SpoonDaKid15.

The University of Toledo did not immediately respond to The Lantern‘s request for confirmation of the transfer.

OSU basketball coach Thad Matta granted Weatherspoon a release from his scholarship April 16.

“J.D. has done everything we’ve asked. I can relate to a young man’s desire to play. I was in his shoes during my collegiate career,” Matta said in an April press release. “His teammates and our staff appreciate the hard work J.D. has put in to make our team better. We wish him nothing but the best.”

Weatherspoon, who stands 6-foot-6 and weighs 215 pounds, played in 35 games during his Buckeyes career. He averaged 2.7 points, one rebound and about six minutes of playing time per game. He was also a member of the 2011-12 team that advanced to the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament.

“Coach Matta and my teammates have been great to me at Ohio State. Our fans and the Columbus community have supported me while in high school and at Ohio State,” Weatherspoon said in the press release after being released from his OSU scholarship. “After discussing my future with my family and my coaches, we determined transferring to another school would be the best opportunity for me.”

Toledo finished the 2011-12 season with a 19-17 regular season record and a 7-9 record within the Mid-American Conference under second-year coach Tod Kowalczyk.