Throw The Fight is slated to open for Bullet for My Valentine Oct. 15 at the Lifestyle Communities Pavilion.  Credit: Courtesy of Bullet Tooth

Throw The Fight is slated to open for Bullet for My Valentine Oct. 15 at the Lifestyle Communities Pavilion.
Credit: Courtesy of Bullet Tooth

The rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle is not always one of glamour and fortune — sometimes the storyline behind the fame brings more to light than groupies and wads of cash.
James Clark, lead vocalist of Throw The Fight, knows this as much as any rock star, saying “the real challenge is sticking with it.”

The Minneapolis-based band is set to open for Bullet for My Valentine and others at the Lifestyle Communities Pavilion’s indoor venue Tuesday.

Like many musical groups, Throw The Fight has seen its share of struggle, going through several membership changes since it was formed in 2003. Originating from London, Clark was brought in as a new lead singer a few years after the band had formed.

“I grew up in England, so I have a lot of pop roots,” said Clark, discussing the band’s style and influence.

Clark battled cancer three years ago, and has since used it as inspiration in his singing. He said having cancer opened his eyes and confirmed his love for music, urging him to spread his message to others.

“Whatever you do in life, you’re always going to have a challenge and always someone telling you you’re not good enough,” he said. “(But) the truth is if you have a dream, follow it, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.”

He said the band’s members have drawn influence from groups such as Metallica and the roots of AC/DC.

“It is hard to put a definition (on the band), I would say we’re hard rock, maybe even a little edgier than hard rock,” Clark said.

These stylistic roots, combined with the instrumental skill of the band’s other four members — Ryan Baustert and Jonathan Sutton on guitar, Kyle Glidden on bass guitar and Jeff Baustert on drums — create an alternative sound.

The band started with a local fan base in Minneapolis that has since grown, taking their songs across the country.

“I’ve been in a band since I was 15 years old. It is (kind of) nice to get a little reassurance in what I do,” Clark said when discussing the band’s current tour. “It’s finally nice to get a breather for a second, taking it for what it’s worth, and not to be too cocky about it.”

Clark said the biggest challenge is not giving up and being passionate about what he does.

Comparing his bandmates to family, Clark joked about how much time they spend together, saying “it is almost like I’ve got four wives, and they are a pain in my a–, but you gotta keep it together.”

Dylan Morit, a recent Ohio State graduate, has never heard a sound similar to that of Throw The Fight.

“They don’t remind me of any band I’ve heard before,” Morit said. “They kind of sounded like other metal bands, but didn’t use screaming till the point you couldn’t understand them anymore — they didn’t sound bad at all.”

Also unfamiliar with the band, Spencer Walton, a former OSU student transferred to Franklin University, said the band “had a good vocal range and instruments” but wished they sounded a little heavier.

The doors for the show are slated to open at 6:30 p.m. and tickets are $30 in advance and $32 at the door. Along with Throw The Fight and Bullet for My Valentine, Black Veil Brides and Stars in Stereo are also scheduled to play.

An earlier version of this story stated the source’s name was Dan Morit. In fact, his name is Dylan Morit.