Ohio State then-junior attack Molly Wood races up field against Penn State on April 12, 2016 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. Credit: Courtesy of OSU Athletics

Despite an effort to make a comeback one game after dropping a road contest to Jacksonville, the Ohio State women’s lacrosse team fell to Cincinnati 17-12 Monday night.

The Buckeyes (1-3) rallied late to close Cincinnati’s (3-1) lead, but the deficit was too big for Ohio State to overcome.

Cincinnati went on a 4-0 run early in the second half to lead Ohio State by seven points. The Bearcats maintained the pace throughout the half to give the team its first home win of the season.

Senior midfielder Katie Burgee and sophomore midfielder Liza Hernandez both scored for Ohio State 14 seconds apart with under two minutes left in the second half to make it 17-12. Despite the effort, it was too late for the Buckeyes to come back.

Ohio State senior Molly Wood led the team with four goals. Hernandez, one of the team’s leading scorers, only had one goal and two assists.

Junior midfielder Bailey Parrott had two goals for Ohio State and forced two turnovers.

Cincinnati held an advantage in draw controls, free position shots and saves. The Buckeyes had six saves compared to the Bearcats’ 11.

The Bearcats set the tone by going on a 4-0 run five minutes into the first half. Sophomore midfielder McKenna Rushford led Cincinnati with six goals, tying her career high. Four of her goals came within the first 20 minutes of the game.

Parrot tied the game four minutes into the first half, but the Buckeyes failed to keep up with the Bearcats and could not remain close enough to take a lead.

Ohio State will have 10 days to rally before taking on Binghamton at 4 p.m. March 9.