Ohio State junior defender Lauren Boyle (6) fights for possession in the first period of the game against Minnesota on Jan. 19. Ohio State won 3-2. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

The historic season for the No. 6 Ohio State women’s hockey team continues.

In their first NCAA tournament appearance in program history, the Buckeyes eliminated No. 4 Boston College with a 2-0 shutout victory Saturday, advancing Ohio State to the NCAA Frozen Four.  

The first goal of the night — and first tournament goal in program history — came from Ohio State junior defender Lauren Boyle 10:12 into the second period, with assists credited to senior forward Julianna Iafallo and senior defender Dani Sadek.

As the game was entering the final moments, junior forward Maddy Field delivered the fatal blow with 3:54 remaining to put Ohio State up 2-0. It marked the 19th goal of her season and was again assisted by Iafallo.

Ohio State redshirt junior goaltender Kassidy Sauve stopped all 38 shots that came her way for the Buckeyes after an undisclosed injury kept her out of play for three weeks.

Despite having the top-two leading scorers in the nation, with freshman forward Daryl Watts and sophomore forward Caitrin Lonergan, it wasn’t enough to shoot anything passed Ohio State’s award studded goalie.

Ohio State (24-10-4, 14-6-4-3 WCHA) outshot the Eagles (30-5-3, 19-2-3 Hockey East) by a final tally of 41-38.

The Buckeyes will travel to Minneapolis for the NCAA Frozen Four semifinals on Friday with a matchup with top-seeded Clarkson. The time has yet to be announced.