All-inclusive sorority Gamma Rho Lambda will host an inclusive 1980s-themed dance party on April 14. Picture by: Gamma Rho Lambda

Neon lights and vibrant clothes will take over the RPAC meeting rooms on Saturday when Gamma Rho Lambda hosts its first ever all-inclusive dance party.

The all-inclusive sorority is primarily dedicated to creating a safe space for LGBTQ students. Mailey Lorio, a third-year in psychology and chair for the programming committee for Gamma Rho Lambda, said the event was inspired by the group’s commitment to creating safe environments for these students.

“The reason that we wanted to do a dance in the first place is becuase for a lot of LGBTQ individuals, there may have been dances and proms at their high schools but it may not have been an inclusive experience,” Lorio said. “We wanted to be able to create a space where we could have the prom/dance element and have it be a safe and fun and constructive space for LGBTQ people.”

All proceeds from admission tickets will go to The Trevor Project, a national organization focused on suicide prevention efforts for LGBTQ youth, and The Kaleidoscope Youth Center, a local drop-in center for LGBTQ youth.

“The center is an opportunity for young people to feel safe and affirmed in a space that won’t question how they present themselves,” said James Westfall, office administrator for the Kaleidoscope Youth Center. “There aren’t too many spaces like that when it comes down to it. It’s a really good opportunity for youth to be able to connect to other youth who may be experiencing similar challenges.”

Even though the event is for a more serious cause, Lorio said Gamma Rho Lambda wants to assure potential attendees that the dance will be about having fun and celebrating individuality in a party atmosphere.

“We’re going to have ’80s vibes happening, there’s going to be a photo booth, there’s going to be food, there’s going to be a basket raffle which is kind of our big ticket item,” she said.

The theme of the event will be “San Junipero,” which fans of the show “Black Mirror” might recognize as the fictional town where two women fall in love in a 1980s setting.

Gamma Rho Lambda’s San Junipero inclusive dance party will take place at 8:30 p.m. Saturday in the RPAC meeting rooms. Admission is $10 at the door.