Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

Ohio State announced wide receivers coach Brian Hartline would have his interim tag removed and that he would serve as the permanent position coach for the upcoming season.

Leading three redshirt senior wide receivers in Parris Campbell, Johnnie Dixon and Terry McLaurin, the Ohio State wide receivers caught 291 passes for 4,211 yards and 43 touchdowns, all program records. This year’s unit became the first in school history to have four receivers with at least 1,000 career receiving yards.

“Brian is a terrific young coach and mentor to our players and I am thrilled he is on our staff permanently now,” offensive coordinator Ryan Day, who takes over as head coach on Jan. 2, said via statement. “His efforts coaching the wide receivers this season are a huge reason we are Big Ten champions and headed to the Rose Bowl.”

Hartline replaced former wide receivers coach Zach Smith, who was dismissed from Ohio State on July 23 after allegations of domestic violence had surfaced. Hartline was a quality control assistant with the Buckeyes during the 2017 season.

Hartline played for Ohio State from 2005 to 2008, earning four Big Ten championships and reaching the BCS National Championship in 2006 and 2007. He recorded 90 catches for 1,429 yards and 12 touchdowns in his collegiate career.

After college, Hartline played seven seasons in the NFL between the Cleveland Browns and the Miami Dolphins.