CAIR-Columbus’ annual fundraising banquet highlighting 2018 accomplishments will take place this weekend. Credit: CAIR-Columbus

The Columbus chapter of the Council of American-Islamic Relations will be holding its 22nd fundraising banquet in the Ohio Union on Saturday.

CAIR-Columbus is a nonprofit that strives to improve Americans’ understanding of Islam and promote dialogue. It also aims to “protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.”

Zainab Ezzeddine, deputy director of CAIR-Columbus, said the banquet serves as an opportunity to showcase what CAIR-Columbus has accomplished in the previous year.

“People support our cause financially and they volunteer their time,” Ezzeddine said. “This annual event highlights their 2018 and exhibits where people’s contributions are being applied to. All proceeds of the event go back towards the nonprofit in order continue to the work they do.”

Recently, CAIR-Columbus was in the news for showing support to TSA employees by buying them lunch during the government shutdown. During the 2018 election, CAIR-Columbus provided new voters with multilingual poll workers who could answer questions and assist them in the process in their native tongue.

“It’s important to us because we are the only organization in Central Ohio that specifically advocate and defend the civil liberties of Muslims in Central Ohio,” Usjid Hameed, the public affairs coordinator for CAIR-Columbus, said.

Hameed said the organization is known primarily for its legal work that assists with public accommodations, employment discrimination, school issues and immigration delays.

Speakers at the event will include Ohio State alumna Ilhan Dahir, executive director of CAIR Nihad Awad, Imam Johari Abdul-Malik and comedian Preacher Moss. Dahir will serve as the youth speaker, which Ezzeddine said is as an “appreciation and investment in our youth.”

“This event brings in 400 people, and it’s a pretty diverse audience,” Hameed said. “It also includes business leaders in the region, and elected officials and their representatives.”

Tickets are on sale for $35 per person, with reserved tables for 10 or more costing $300. Business sponsorships will be $500 and more. For more information about the event, visit https://www.cair-columbus.com/, or visit the organization’s Twitter account at @CAIR_Columbus and on Facebook at CAIR-Columbus.