Ohio State increases the tutition and dining and housing costs at the Board of Trustee meeting Wednesday. Credit: Lantern file photo

Ohio State increases the tuition and dining and housing costs at the Board of Trustee meeting Wednesday. Credit: Lantern file photo

The Board of Trustees approved an increase in tuition, housing and dining for first-year students and increases in the cost of health insurance for students who purchase university plans in a virtual meeting Wednesday.

All incoming freshmen will see a tuition-and-fees increase of 4.1 percent.

All out-of-state students, including those already enrolled, will see an increase in the non-resident surcharge by 4.8 percent. The non-resident surcharge is the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition. Incoming out-of-state freshmen will be subject to both the tuition and fees and the surcharge increases.

All currently enrolled in-state and out-of-state students will not see tuition increase because of the university’s tuition freeze program.  

Incoming freshmen living on campus will see a 2.5 percent increase in both housing and dining costs and anyone using student health insurance will see a 1.5 percent increase in those costs. 

The adjusted rate of tuition, housing and dining will freeze for four years for in-state students under Ohio State’s Tuition Guarantee. Continuing in-state students will not see an increase in these costs.

“As we enter into this conversation about tuition and fees, we always think it’s important to highlight access and affordability at Ohio State, which has been something — a hallmark that we’ve been working on for quite a number of years,” Michael Papadakis, senior vice president and CFO of the Board of Trustees, said.

The proposal did not include increases to the international student-specific surcharges or program, course and technology fees.

This means that first-years from Ohio living on the Columbus campus will pay between $701 and $821 more than freshmen did last year depending on housing, meal and insurance plans. In-state first-year students living off campus will see an increase of $0 to $170 depending on meal and student insurance plans.

All out-of-state students who live on campus starting this fall will pay between $1,708 and $1,827 more than last year depending on housing, meal and student insurance plans. Out-of-state students living off campus will pay between $1,441 and $1,617 more depending on meal and student insurance plans.

Broken down, tuition and fees will increase:

• $434 for in-state incoming freshmen
  • $1,441 for out-of-state incoming freshmen 
  • $1,007 for all continuing out-of-state students

The university will adjust financial aid packages for Pell-eligible students, adding $434 to financial aid so that they are unaffected by the tuition increase, according to a press release. 

Housing costs will increase by $216 for Rate 1 housing, $180 for Rate 2 housing, $174 for Rate 2A housing and $168 for Rate 3 housing.

Housing rates were frozen in 2017 and 2018. In 2018, they increased by 1.5 percent. In 2019, they increased by 2.2 percent. 

Dining costs will increase by $99 for Unlimited, $121 for Scarlet 14, $101 for Gray 10, $108 for Declining Balance, $22 for Carmen 1 and $43 for Carmen 2.

Rate 1 housing and Gray 10 dining is the most common housing and dining plan combination on campus, according to the meeting agenda. The changes amount to a $318 increase in costs for incoming first-year students enrolled in these plans. Both the increases in housing and dining support operating, repair and maintenance, and debt costs, according to the meeting agenda.

Student Health Insurance costs will increase $50 for anyone enrolled.

Ohio State requires all students to carry health insurance. Eighty-seven percent of domestic students use outside insurance in place of Ohio State’s student health insurance, but international students are required to enroll in Ohio State’s plan. 

“Ohio State has placed a strategic emphasis on access, affordability and excellence. As of summer 2020, the university has devoted more than $200 million to increase support for low- and moderate-income Ohioans since 2015,” according to a Wednesday press release.

The 4.1-percent tuition increase for Ohio residents also applies to online courses. Online tuition for non-resident students includes a $3,580 surcharge. If the student is participating in an exclusively online degree or certificate program and is not an Ohio resident, the out-of-state surcharge will increase by $390.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this story stated housing, dining and student health insurance costs increased for all students. The cost increases do not apply to continuing in-state students. The story has been updated to reflect that.