Rutgers quarterback Gavin Wimsatt (2) reacts after he scored a touchdown 6-yard quarterback sneak during the second quarter against Northwestern on Sunday, September 3, 2023 in Piscataway, N.J. Credit: Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media via TNS

What’s happened so far in 2023: 

Rutgers came out of the gates with something to prove this season, taking down Northwestern, Temple and Virginia Tech to start 3-0. The Scarlet Knights dominated from the get-go in each of these wins, carrying double-digit leads into halftime in all three. Coach Greg Schiano’s squad even managed to keep things interesting in its week four matchup with No. 2 Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Rutgers trailed by just one score at halftime before a lopsided second half turned the game into a 31-7 blowout. 

Key offensive player: 

Junior running back Kyle Monangai got off to a hot start scoring for the run-heavy offense. His 384 rushing yards through four games rank him second in the Big Ten, and his five touchdowns lead the team. There was clearly a discussion in Piscataway, New Jersey, this offseason about making Monangai the focal point of the offensive game plan, and the junior has taken full advantage of his opportunity. It is no secret this team has had its struggles throwing the football, which makes a reliable running back like Monangai just that much more valuable. 

Key defensive player: 

Junior linebacker Tyreem Powell has always been viewed within the program as a versatile defensive player who can drop back in coverage or get to the quarterback effectively. Powell responded to the honor with a strong start in 2023, leading the team with 36 total tackles through his first four games. He also earned a pair of sacks in the first month of his junior season, the second of which came on a crucial third down near midfield against J.J. McCarthy and the Wolverines. At the time, Rutgers was clinging to an early 7-0 lead, and Powell’s huge play kept the momentum on its side. 

Weaknesses: 

Junior Gavin Wimsatt has all of the physical traits of an effective Big Ten quarterback. Schiano had every reason to believe in Wimsatt’s development when he handed him the starting quarterback job during the 2022 season. Unfortunately, the passing offense that finished at the bottom of the Big Ten last year failed to improve in 2023. Playing to their strengths on defense and in the running game has helped the Scarlet Knights coast through a successful September. But, with the Big Ten schedule kicking into full gear, Schiano and the Rutgers coaching staff will almost certainly need to add another dimension to this offense.