A section of brick fell off the Mathematics Building MA on W. 18th Avenue Wednesday morning, but no injuries were reported.

The university is still studying the cause of the falling bricks, said Ken Wayman, senior director for Facilities Design and Construction.

“A section of brick façade on the south elevation of the building separated from the structure,” Wayman said. “We believe that the issues are limited to the non-structural brick façade.”

The section of brick that fell is about 5 feet high and 2 feet wide.

Wayman did not specify how much repairs would cost.

“The clean-up and immediate repair work to stabilize this area should be minimal,” he said.

On a list of buildings in need of major investment that the Office of Physical Planning and Real Estate released in January, the Mathematics Building is listed as being in need of major renovation or replacement.

John Piper, administrative manager for the department of mathematics, said he received a call about the fallen bricks at about 6:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Roy Zuefle, building coordinator for the Math Tower, would not comment on the matter, but said Facilities Operations and Development will have a plan to fix the problem before 5 p.m. on Wednesday.

FOD officials did not respond for comment Wednesday evening after 5 p.m.

The university has previously evaluated the condition of the Mathematics Building’s façade, as well as continuing to examine other buildings with a similar brick construction, Wayman said.

FOD workers were assessing the damage and building Wednesday morning, but would not comment.

“They are monitored on a regular basis for signs of similar conditions,” Wayman said. “We are not aware of any that pose an immediate concern.”

Trent Barter contributed to this story.