A man charged in attempting to abduct two women at knifepoint near the Ohio State Medical Center in August was sentenced Thursday to 24 years in prison.

David Phillip Morris, 45, pleaded guilty in December to charges of kidnapping and aggravated robbery and said the attacks were sexually motivated. Both charges carry a 10-year sentence maximum, which he received Thursday in the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas.

He received an additional four-year sentence for being a repeat offender.

The OSU Department of Public Safety issued a Buckeye Alert at approximately 4 p.m. Aug. 3 stating that police were searching for the suspect near Cannon Drive and King Avenue.

Richard Morman, deputy police chief for the OSU Police, said police received a call shortly after 3 p.m. that day from a woman who said a man grabbed her around the waist and put a knife to her side near Medical Center Drive and Cannon Drive. The man told her, “You’re going with me,” but she escaped and dialed 911. He then ran away toward Cannon Drive.

The man ran toward a fenced-in parking lot housing construction equipment on Cannon Drive between Medical Center Drive and King Avenue, Morman said. There he ran up to a woman entering her car, grabbed her by the sweater and demanded that she take him with her. She ran away.

Morris was later apprehended by Columbus Police for inducing panic and swimming and wading in a river.

No injuries were reported.