Ingrid Michaelson told fans Wednesday that for the Columbus leg of her Fall Acoustic Tour, she would probably sound more like Chris Martin from Coldplay.

And when Michaelson’s band started to play the popular Coldplay song “Yellow,” her “head cold voice” could have had them fooled.

Throughout the night she continued making several jokes about her cold and the effects of cold medicine, saying it “makes you do funny things,” but that if it makes her sound like Martin, it can’t be that bad.

Michaelson performed Wednesday at the Lifestyle Communities Pavilion, and along with widely-known Michaelson songs, such as “Lady in Spain” and “Maybe,” the show was filled with laughs and stories from the indie pop singer-songwriter as she reflected on her being that “awkward” girl in high school and wearing puffy winter coats on the New York subway.

Michaelson said her new tour is about taking a different approach to her songs.

“We are calling it the acoustic tour,” Michaelson said. “We are taking the songs on the album (‘Human Again,’ released in January) and stripping them down closer to how they were written originally.”

The show featured acoustic guitars, drums, piano and an accordion. There wasn’t a single electric guitar or bass played the entire show.

She played a slowed-down version of her hit song “The Way I Am,” from 2007’s “Girls and Boys” with her ukelele. The song took on a new meaning in the past year, Michaelson said, as she was recently married. “Cuz I love the way you say good morning / And you take me the way I am / If you are chilly, here take my sweater / Your head is aching, I’ll make it better,” Michaelson sang.

Kaitlin Stewart, a fourth-year in radiologic sciences and therapy at Ohio State, waited in anticipation for several months to hear Michaelson live.

“I am a big fan of Ingrid,” Stewart said. “I can listen to her album anytime I want, so I hoped her live performance brought something different than just her exact CD.”

Malinda Meadows, a fifth-year in radiologic sciences and therapy at OSU, was also excited to see Michaelson live and appreciated her more after the concert.

“I think it says a lot about an artist if they can put on a good show live,” Meadows said. “I don’t know her (Michaelson’s) music as well … but I am learning it and enjoy it.”

The show ended with an encore as Michaelson invited the audience to join her in singing “You and I,” from her 2008 release “Be OK.”