campus_rowing

Click to expand.

The Ohio State women’s rowing team had approximately $8,925 worth of personal belongings stolen from its vans at the Dayton Boat Club in Moraine, Ohio, earlier this month.

The theft was reported March 1 at about 1:15 p.m. to the Moraine Police Department. OSU rowing coach Andy Teitelbaum told police four of OSU’s five vans had been broken into and 19 team members had items stolen from them during practice, according to the Moraine Police Department report.

OSU athletics spokesman Dan Wallenberg referred The Lantern, on behalf of the athletics department, the coaches and team members, to police for comment.

Teitelbaum told police the team members were away from the vans from 10 a.m. to noon while they were practicing, according to the report.

Two officers checked the surrounding area and dumpsters for any discarded stolen items or other evidence, but nothing was found. No suspects had been identified at the time the report was filed.

One of the team members reported at about 9 p.m. that day her stolen credit card had been used earlier in the day at a gas station in Englewood, Ohio, for a fuel transaction totaling $73. Moraine Police referred the victim to the Englewood Police Department, but there was no video surveillance at the fuel pumps, according to the police report.

The stolen items included at least four iPads, 12 cell phones, two laptops, seven backpacks and seven wallets.

The vans had the drivers’ door locks punched, but there was no other criminal damage, according to the report.

A Moraine Police representative who responded to the incident could not be reached for comment.