OSU junior forward Yaw Amankwa (23) attempts a shot during a game against Louisville on Sept. 29 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. OSU won 1-0. Credit: Breanna Williams / Lantern Photographer

The Ohio State men’s soccer team concluded its three-game home stand with a shutout victory over Louisville.

The Buckeyes improve to 3-4-2 overall, while the Cardinals fall to 4-3-3 on the season.

Playing in wet, rainy conditions, the first half of the game started slow for both teams.

OSU senior midfielder Kyle Culbertson took the first shot attempt of the game in the first minute at about 20 yards out, but his shot went wide of the net.

Louisville earned three corner kicks in the ninth minute, but the Buckeyes were not phased, as redshirt senior goalkeeper Chris Froschauer saved two of the kicks.

OSU earned its first corner kick of the game in the 20th minute, but the ball was cleared away.

The Scarlet and Gray were given another chance at corner kicks in the 24th minute, but were not successful in its execution, keeping the game scoreless.

In the 37th minute, Culbertson was given another chance at a score with a feed from junior forward Danny Jensen. However, Culbertson did not find any success in his shot.

In the final minutes of the first half, OSU senior midfielder and co-captain Zach Mason attempted a header but the ball hit just outside the near side of the net.

Neither team managed to find the back of the net in the first half, leaving the game scoreless heading into the second half.

After a slow start in the first half, the Buckeyes decided to make some changes that eventually worked in their favor.

“We decided to switch and play low pressure defense and sit in a little bit and frustrate them,” OSU coach John Bluem said.

The switch in the Buckeyes’ defense started to show immensely as OSU managed to continue to keep Louisville at bay while opening up more offensive chances for themselves.

Jensen fired up the Buckeyes when he broke through with the first goal of the game in the 55th minute with a header assisted by senior defender and co-captain Liam Doyle. Jensen’s score was his second goal of the season and his 11th of his career.

“Liam played a left-footed ball from the right side so I knew it would be headed toward the keeper,” Jensen said. “I was lucky enough to get a header on it and it found the back if the net.”

The Buckeyes managed to keep the Cardinals from notching a goal in the final 35 minutes, claiming a 1-0 victory.

Overall, shots were 9-7 in favor of the Buckeyes, while OSU also held a 7-6 lead in corners.

With the two saves to preserve his second consecutive shutout, Froschauer improved to 3-4-2 on the season. The Union, Kentucky, product has kept a clean sheet in all three of his victories.

The Buckeyes are next scheduled to hit the road to resume Big Ten play against Michigan State at 1 p.m. on Sunday in East Lansing, Michigan.