In order to better integrate athletes with students in an academic environment, the Ohio State Student Athlete Support Services will join a portion of the College of Education in a new location starting in 1998. The new building will be constructed on the site of Neil Hall, 1634 Neil Avenue which housed the old medical bookstore, said Kate Riffee, assistant athletic director for Student Athlete Support Services. Costs for the project are estimated at $9.4 million. About $8.6 million will come from private donors and the remaining amount from the Athletic Department and physical facilities, Riffee said.Student Athlete Support Services, a division of the Athletic Department, does not have the room to provide all of the services it would like to because of limited space at St. John Arena, she said.The building will have an academic learning center, a resource library and facilities for students and the College of Education. ‘We want to provide all our services under one roof,’ Riffee said. The office consists of 11 staff members who help about 800 student athletes per year. Funding for the office’s operation and projects comes from the Athletic Department and outside donors.The department offers OSU athletes support in academics and personal and career development, she said. It also organizes community service activities.’Our mission as a department is to treat every student athlete as a human being, not just a student and not just an athlete,’ Riffee said. While the NCAA has only had the program in effect for four years, OSU began the program 10 years ago as a way to monitor grades and provide counseling, she said. OSU became a model and helped other schools start similar programs.’We teach students to be autonomous learners, knowing that we are here and taking advantage of resources, but not relying on us,’ Riffee said Academic development is the office’s main priority, with a 90 percent graduation rate for student athletes who complete four years of eligibility, Riffee said. Thirty-four percent of those students are scholar athletes with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher. The office provides programs in which students learn time and stress management, responsible decision making, leadership, trust and communication skills.Other services include study tables, career assessment and tutoring, Riffee said.The department also offers a Student Athlete Advisory Board which allows athletes to have a voice in decisions and make comments to the athletic department, Riffee said. With each team having one or two representatives, the board is a good communication avenue for athletes into what is happening in OSU athletics. ‘They provide a lot of programs for us; community service projects, seminars to help with resumes and interviews,’ said Nicole Paloney, a senior on the OSU softball team and chair-elect for the board. ‘They help us deal with life outside of athletics.’