It is likely that walking up to a bartender and order a Smoking Bishop would just produce puzzled looks. That is because it is a 19th century drink that most people have only read about in Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol.”

The Ohio Historical Society will be hosting an event — Pleasure of the Cup — that allows guests 21 and older to sample drinks that were popular in the 19th century.

Drinks this year come from not only “A Christmas Carol” but from the “Bartenders Guide” by Jerry Thomas in 1862 and “The Flowering Bowl: When and What to Drink” from 1891.
This program gives the Historical Society the chance to not only give people a sample of popular bar drinks from the nineteenth century but also to appeal to demographics that they do not usually attract.

“We wanted to attract that 20 to 30 crowd that we do not usually attract, and what we found is this attracts everyone over 21,” said Jennifer Rounds, public programs assistant for the Ohio Historical Society.

Six drinks are served in total and each guest has the to option to order a second.
One traditional drink is Spread Eagle Punch, which contains whiskey, Monongahela Cobbler (made with either bourbon or a rye whiskey), lemon peel, sugar and boiling water. This drink is served over ice.

Another drink, the Hot Benefactor, contains hot punch with sugar, Chianti, Jamaican rum and a slice of lemon with grated nutmeg on top.

Each drink is served in a different parlor within the Ohio Village. Guests will be split into groups where each drink is served while they participate in a parlor game.

One of the more popular parlor games is called Cracker Whacker. For the game, Everyone has crackers tied to string hanging from their heads. A rolled newspaper is used to try and break the crackers.

As drinks are served and the night goes on, more people get into the games that are sometimes meant for children, Rounds said.

The event takes place in the Ohio Village at the Ohio Historical Society on Dec. 5 from 7 to 9:30 p.m.

Admission is $35 for nonmembers and $30 for members of the Ohio Historical Society. Getting through six drinks and games takes about two hours and ends at the American House Hotel where dessert and refreshments are served.