President E. Gordon Gee gave his semiannual address to the faculty and presented the 2010 Faculty Awards on Tuesday in the Ohio Union Performance Hall.

“Ladies and gentlemen, on this extraordinary spring afternoon, in this most remarkable new facility, and standing before hundreds of gifted, accomplished colleagues, I am filled with unparalleled optimism,” Gee said. “For our university’s future, the lives of the students we teach and nurture, our partners and friends, our communities, our state and our nation.”

Gee’s address, “Building a Vibrant University,” expressed the progress Ohio State is making and his concern with the impact the nation’s financial crisis is having on universities.

The California State University System turned away 30,000 students this spring because of inadequate funding. Florida and Arizona also face devastating budget decisions, Gee said.

His new mantra, partner or perish, means that partnerships with
businesses, governments, parents and communities will keep OSU in good health.

“I believe the unrelenting pursuit of deeper partnerships will be the defining characteristic of those institutions and organizations that thrive in the coming century,” Gee said.

In the midst of dangerous cynicism and bias surrounding the entire political spectrum, Gee said OSU must step into the role of creating a national dialogue for multifaceted discussion.

“We cannot allow the diatribe and venom to shackle our nation’s progress,” he said. “Our university was founded to enlarge individual opportunity, improve our communities and sustain democracy through expanded understanding.”

Following Gee’s address, the floor was opened up for questions. Only one question was asked: “What is Ohio State’s single greatest challenge?”

“(Ohio State’s) single greatest challenge is complacency,” Gee said.
“This is a great university, but we need to continue to wake up everyday, pushing ourselves and pushing others.”

Tim Gerber, chairman of the Faculty Council and a professor in the School of Music, said this address was different from previous years.

“It’s different to hear him talk about where we need to go in the future,” said Gerber, who introduced Gee before his address. “For him to call for this ‘true dialogue’ is very encouraging. If we don’t do it, who will?”

Nineteen faculty members were honored for three different awards: 10 were honored for the Alumni Award for Distinguished Teaching, based on superior teaching; six were honored for the Distinguished Scholar Award, based on substantial research by senior professors; and three were honored for the Faculty Award for Distinguished University Service, based on contributions to the implementation of university policies.

James H. Dial, an associate professor in the Department of Management and Human Resources, was an honoree for the Alumni Award for Distinguished Teaching.

Dial said it was a huge surprise when “Dr. Gee’s entourage” showed up to inform him of being a recipient for the award. His wife kept it a secret from him for two weeks.

“It’s nice to be honored, but I find that teaching is its own reward,” Dial said. “Every day that I show up for class, I feel rewarded.”

At the reception following the award ceremony, members of the OSU Percussion Ensemble provided lively vibraphone melodies while faculty talked with family members and colleagues.

But Gee’s closing statement likely resonated among those who attended the speech.

“At the end of each day and each week, we must ask ourselves what we have done to advance the university’s great possibilities,” he said. “And in so doing, we will create, together, the university of the American future.”