The second floor of Bricker Hall takes on a particular importance to the university — The office of President E. Gordon Gee is there. For the next few days, however, the main attraction at the space will be the Office for Disability Services art show.

A number of artists from the disabilities community in Ohio will be displaying their work at the show, which runs until Friday.

“We have done this kind of art exhibit that focuses on artwork done by individuals who have disabilities, since 2006,” said Lois Harris, director of the Office for Disability Services.

“We invite students with disabilities to participate and we also invite members of the community.”

Artists featured in the show are not just students and Columbus residents, but also citizens from Marion, Toledo and other areas of Ohio.

“This year we are very excited because we have statewide representation when it comes to the artwork,” Harris said. “It’s a prime opportunity for a focus on the many talents and gifts that individuals with disabilities have.”

While the show is sponsored by the Office for Disability Services, Harris adds that only one current student is featured in the show, while two former students are also featured.

Leni D. Anderson, who graduated from Ohio State in 2007 with a degree in art history, is one of those former students.

At 45, Anderson is not your typical recent college graduate. Anderson is a service-connected disabled veteran who served overseas from 1984 to 1986 and during the first Gulf War in 1991.

“It’s not per se disabled artists, it’s artists that have disabilities,” said Anderson, who also earned his Masters degree last year in Library Informational Science. “I think there is a unique view, especially depending on what sort of disability the artist is dealing with because you have to have some sort of expression.”

Anderson’s painting, which he says is inspired by “medieval early renaissance art and artists,” can be found at the exhibit.

Mike Fields, an oil painter whose Ohio State football painting is on display, does not have any disabilities, but is all for supporting the community.

“Just staying involved in what’s going on around the community, seeing what’s going on around town, I saw the disabilities show,” Fields said. “One good thing is you get to see that it doesn’t matter what you have, you still have talent and you don’t look at a picture and say ‘Oh, that person must have a disability.’ You just see the artwork.”

The type of work on display takes on many different forms of art. Paintings, sketches, drawings, photographs, quilts and 3-D forms of art are some of the many pieces on display at the exhibit.

Four of Michael Adams’ paintings are on display, each one of them an outlet for his fight with multiple sclerosis.

“Since I got sick I’ve lost my car and my job and everything else,” said Adams, 42. “It’s a way to express what’s going on, you know? The frustrations, the anxiety, the pain, the loss.”

Since his diagnosis, Adams has become involved in the VSA arts of Ohio program. After winning a contest for disabled artists, Adams was asked to be involved with the Office for Disability Service show.

“It’s turned into be something interesting,” said Adams. “It’s an outlet, it’s cathartic, its one of the things I can still do.”

Tuesday was the opening reception for the event. Harris added that in the past, attendance for the show has varied from year to year.

As for Gee making an appearance on his way to the office, Harris is unsure.

“I don’t know,” Harris says with a laugh. “He’s pretty busy, but I’m sure if he’s here he’ll drop by.”