Attendees at HighBall 2012 pose in their costumes. This year’s Highball is scheduled for Oct. 25 and 26.  Credit: Lantern file photo

Attendees at HighBall 2012 pose in their costumes. This year’s Highball is scheduled for Oct. 25 and 26.
Credit: Lantern file photo

Most can already see how next weekend will go down. Last minute, costumes will be thrown together in a hodge podge of things from your own closet, your roommates’ closet and anything that can be found in the depths of your apartment. Or if Halloween is the shining beacon of all great holidays for you, then you’ve been planning your costume for weeks, refreshing it to the most up-to-date, hilarious pop culture persona you can find. (How many tongue-wagging Mileys do you think will be roaming the off-campus streets this year?)

There will be Natty Light galore, at some point in the night you will realize your shoes are sticky from the questionable liquid coating the floor, and the bars will be crowded with costumed party-goers.

And for some, that’s all they need on Halloween weekend. But if you aren’t up for that, there are ample opportunities around the city for you to get your freak on Halloween style sans the Natty Light parties — not that there is anything wrong with that.

The 5th Annual Ohio 24-Hour Horror Marathon at The Drexel Theatre — Oct. 26 at 12 p.m. to Oct. 27 at 12 p.m.

Plop yourself down and get comfy at The Drexel Theatre, because they are doing their annual 24-hour film festival of horror movies. Ranging from the classics to premieres to shorts to anything else the Drexel feels like showing, viewers can bunker down for a full day. Don’t think you can handle that much time? Purchase the Official Shock Around the Clock Coffee Mug, which equates to free coffee during the entire marathon — or a permanently twitching eye from all the caffeine intake.

Rowe Boutique 6th Annual Spooky Soiree — Oct. 25 at 6 p.m.

For a classier evening filled with fashionable costumes, Rowe Boutique is hosting its Spooky Soiree, complete with Tarot card readings. Costumes are encouraged, so go crazy with creativity (fashionable creativity is an extra bonus).

Sixth annual Highball — Oct. 25 at 6 p.m. and Oct. 26 at 12 p.m.

Smack in the middle of High Street with 20,000 of your best friends, Highball is a different Halloween experience, considering they actually close down the street for it. Cars won’t hinder High Ball attendees from dancing in the street Friday and Saturday. A runway show featuring Halloween-inspired fashion and costumes is set to go on down the middle of the street. Costumes, bright wigs and most likely tons of glitter and tulle will litter the street for a creepy yet bright street festival.

5K Costume Zoom — Oct. 25 at 8 p.m. 

For more active-minded people, you can wear your costume and get a workout in, too. The finish line conveniently ends at Highball, where runners will then be greeted with free admission and an ice cold beer, the best choice for hydration, of course. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Halloween on the Hocking — Oct. 26 

Haunted houses are one thing, haunted river rides might be on a whole new level. For a half a mile, you can ride a canoe down Hocking River as monsters jump out at you on a haunted river ride, followed by a haunted hay ride. If your nerves can’t quite handle all of that, don’t worry, you can finish off the night roasting s’mores on a bonfire and regaining your breath. It’s a bit of a drive off campus (just under an hour), so grab a reservation before you make the drive.

Halloween Lantern Walking Tours at the Topiary Gardens — Oct. 22 and 23 at 6 p.m.

Bring a flashlight my friends, because this tour will be dark. The Topiary Gardens downtown might be the best, creepiest choice for the tour to begin. While beautiful and majestic during the day, the looming plants get a little more weird once it’s dark. The tour goes through one of the “haunted” neighborhoods of Columbus, Town-Franklin, while a guide recounts the supernatural past of the city.

BITE-Axis’ 15th annual Halloween Contest and Party — Oct. 26 at 10 p.m.

Have a costume that needs to be seen by more than just your friends? Axis’ costume contest is set to be guest-judged by Jujubee from RuPaul’s Drag Race. Strut your stuff and see if your costume is really as great as you think it is.