Motive is slated to perform at 9 p.m. Oct. 2 at Skully’s Music-Diner. Credit: Courtesy of Deneka Peniston

Motive is slated to perform at 9 p.m. Oct. 2 at Skully’s Music-Diner.
Credit: Courtesy of Deneka Peniston

Prepare yourself, rock music fans, because Motive is set to bring its style of throwback alternative rock to Columbus.

The band is scheduled to kick off its tour to promote its new single, “Burn Down Brooklyn,” at Skully’s Music-Diner Wednesday.

Motive is an old school rock ‘n’ roll band that draws heavy influence from its roots in Seattle and its current base in Brooklyn, N.Y., according to the band’s lead singer and guitarist Nick Wold.

“We’re from Seattle originally. We take a lot from the grunge rock sound,” Wold said. “We’re also into the New York post-punk.”

The unsigned band experienced a skyrocket in popularity after the video for its song “What’s So Bad?” appeared on MTV2’s show “120 Minutes.” The video, which features the band members wearing cardboard boxes on their heads, soon reached the No. 2 spot on MTV.com’s Most Popular Video chart, beating out many more established artists, such as Imagine Dragons and Nicki Minaj.

“It’s been a journey,” Wold said in regards to the band’s path through the industry.

As teenagers, three of the members of Motive toured the country playing jazz together before forming Motive in 2010. Wold said jazz roots still influence their music.

“It conditioned us to how we learn about music and how we think about music,” Wold said. “Jazz is one hell of a study … I think it’s a good launching pad for any kid to learn music through.”

Motive played in Columbus once before in 2011 , but Wold said they are excited to be back.

“We had a really good time in Columbus, people welcomed us with open arms and we welcomed them,” Wold said. “Andrew (McGovern, Motive’s bassist) left his shoes in Columbus so he has to come back and get them.”

For the show in Columbus, Wold said the band plans to play all of its popular songs, including “What’s So Bad?” and “It’s Illicit,” but they also have some new things in store for fans.

“We’re gonna be breaking out some possibly new sounds that you’ve never heard us play before,” Wold said. “It promises to be a mystical night of music.”

Andy Nicol, a third-year in education, said he enjoys the catchy riffs of Motive’s hit song “What’s So Bad?”

“It’s a lot different than what I hear on the radio, which is a good thing,” Nicol said, an alternative rock fan. “The drum beats are really catchy.”

Annie Means, a second-year in plant pathology, said she would compare Motive’s music to that of “The Strokes” or “The Black Keys.”

“I would definitely go to an (inexpensive) show,” Means said. “They obviously have the right sound.”

The show starts at Skully’s at 9 p.m. Indigo Wild is the opening act. Tickets are available for $5 at the door.