Marti Taylor, executive director of the Richard M. Ross Heart Hospital, will begin her role as University Hospital CEO in March.  Credit: Courtesy of OSU Wexner Medical Center

Marti Taylor, executive director of the Richard M. Ross Heart Hospital, will begin her role as University Hospital CEO in March.
Credit: Courtesy of OSU Wexner Medical Center

The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center’s University Hospital is set to welcome a new CEO in March.

Current University Hospital CEO Larry Anstine will retire after more than 25 years of service, a Dec. 22 press release said. Marti Taylor, executive director of the Richard M. Ross Heart Hospital for the past three years and a registered nurse, will take his place as the first University Hospital CEO with a nursing background.

University Hospital is the OSU Wexner Medical Center’s flagship patient care facility located on OSU’s Columbus campus. The hospital houses more than 900 beds, an advanced maternity hospital and one of the busiest kidney and pancreas transplant centers in the world, according to the OSU Wexner Medical Center website.

Anstine joined the University Hospital staff in 1990, and was named OSU’s Wexner Medical Center University Hospital East’s executive director in 1999, the release said.

University Hospital East is a facility located on the eastern edge of downtown Columbus, separate from University Hospital.

Prior to taking on the role of University Hospital CEO in 2005, Anstine served as the first executive director of the Ross Heart Hospital in 2004, the release said.

Dr. Steven Gabbe, CEO of OSU’s Wexner Medical Center, said in the release the center is grateful for Anstine’s contributions to improving the quality and accessibility of patient care.

“Larry has been a tremendous leader and dedicated to our mission to improve people’s lives,” he said. “Throughout his successful career, Larry collaborated with physicians, administrators and staff to increase patient volume and revenue, increase access to services through physician recruitment and faculty expansion, and to significantly improve clinical quality and service.”

A graduate of Capital University who received her master’s in nursing from Duke University, Taylor will replace Anstine while retaining her current position as executive director at Ross Heart Hospital, the release said. Prior to returning to central Ohio, she served as associate vice president for cardiovascular services at Duke University.

Taylor’s work at the Ross Heart Hospital, including the development of a Hospice service and a series of wellness events and prevention activities, showcases her leadership ability, said OSU Wexner Medical Center COO Peter Geier in the release.

“Marti has been successful in preparing the hospital for the future by growing the Ross services across the state, improving efficiencies, creating new payment models, improving customer service, and focusing on wellness and prevention,” he said.

In 2013, Taylor made a base salary of $314,448 as executive director of the Ross Heart Hospital. She is set to make a base salary of $440,000 as University Hospital CEO, said Wexner Medical Center spokeswoman Alexis Shaw in an email.

Anstine made a base salary of $576,492 in 2013, Shaw said.