OSU then-redshirt junior shortstop Maddy McIntyre (30) throws the ball to first base against Ohio on April 21 at Buckeye Field. OSU defeated Ohio, 12-4.

OSU then-redshirt junior shortstop Maddy McIntyre (30) throws the ball to first base against Ohio on April 21 at Buckeye Field. OSU defeated Ohio, 12-4. Credit: Lantern file photo

The Ohio State softball team’s 15th Annual Ohio Collegiate Charity Classic, which benefits the Stefanie Spielman Fund for Breast Cancer Research, is scheduled to host 22 teams from three different states on Saturday and Sunday at Buckeye Field and Fred Beekman Park.

OSU softball coach Kelly Kovach Schoenly said it has been incredible to see the growth of the event since its start in 2001.

“We want our players to be significant and to pay it forward,” she said. “Having these powerful women outside of our team join the fight to end breast cancer means a lot to the program.”

The event has become one of the largest fundraisers for Breast Cancer Awareness Month in central Ohio, bringing in more than $200,000 for the Stefanie Spielman Fund over the past 14 years.

Redshirt senior catcher and first baseman Erika Leonard said that raising awareness about breast cancer and research is extremely important to her.

“My mom had breast cancer and is now going on to be a 17-year survivor,” Leonard said. “Without the advancements in research, my mom might’ve not been here today.”

Entrance to the event is a $5 donation, with all proceeds from ticket sales and concessions benefiting the Stefanie Spielman Fund.

Madison Spielman, a fourth-year in communications and daughter of the late Stefanie Spielman, said she is grateful for the effort to continue to fight the disease.

“It’s a reminder that even after six years since her passing, our mom’s legacy still lives on,” Madison Spielman said. “It means the world to have the support from the school I love.”

Redshirt senior shortstop Maddy McIntyre said it is a great feeling for the team to be part of something bigger than each individual.

“My favorite part is when the Spielman family comes out and throws the first pitch of the tournament,” McIntyre said.

After the first pitch from the Spielman family, OSU is set play against Miami (Ohio) on Saturday at 12:45 p.m.

The following day, the team will split into two squads: OSU Scarlet and OSU Gray. Team Scarlet is set to face Northern Kentucky at 9:30 a.m. at Buckeye Field, while Team Gray is scheduled to play Toledo at 11:45 a.m.