Home » Campus » Ohio State student charged for rape in Jones Tower

Ohio State student charged for rape in Jones Tower

Northeastern side of Jones Tower, located on 123 W. Lane Avenue. Credit: Ris Twigg | Assistant Photo Editor

An Ohio State student was arrested and charged with the rape of a female student Sunday morning in Jones Tower.

Devon Prevost, a 19-year-old second-year in communication, was arraigned on rape charges Monday in the Franklin County Municipal Court, according to court documents. The bond is set at $150,000.

Court documents showed that on October 27, “no evidence was presented” in the case. As a result, the Grand Jury returned a “No Bill” after the prosecutor reviewed the case and determined that it should not be presented to the Grand Jury, meaning Prevost was not prosecuted on the charges.

The incident was reported at 2:27 a.m. Sunday morning and occurred at 1:31 a.m., according to the Ohio State Police online crime log.

According to the court affidavit, the female student was “pleading for help” to her roommate on the phone while in Jones with Prevost. The document details the female student’s roommate was following her location with an app.

The female student’s roommate called University Police to report the incident, according to the affidavit.

When University Police took Prevost into custody, Prevost said “nothing happened,” according to the affidavit. However, when in questioning, the affidavit said he told officers he believed the female was intoxicated while he engaged in oral sex with her on his bed.

The female student reported Prevost pressured her to drink more alcoholic beverages throughout the night and took her to his dorm, though she told him she wanted to go to her residence, according to the affidavit.

“In addition to the police investigation, the matter has been referred to Student Conduct for appropriate action under the university’s student disciplinary process. Because there is an ongoing investigation, we do not have additional details to share at this time,” a statement from Ohio State read.

Update, 4:18 p.m.: this article has been updated to include information regarding the court affidavit, Ohio State’s statement.

Updated, 1:15 p.m., June 29, 2018: this article has been updated to include information that Prevost was never prosecuted for the charges.

1. Was the victim a freshman or sophomore ordered to live on campus by Ohio State?

• What does that matter

• Because the university said this week that the increase in sexual assaults on campus was “partly due to to the increased number of sophomores on campus”. Many students who would prefer to live at home where it may be safer are being required by the university to live on campus where it is less safe so that the university can make more money off of room and board.

Anonymous so that I’m not a target of the university.

2. She was competent enough to communicate with her roommate the whole time but not competent enough to just walk home or not into Jones tower at all? It’ll be interesting to see how this develops

• “The female student reported Prevost pressured her to drink more alcoholic beverages throughout the night and took her to his dorm, though she told him she wanted to go to her residence, according to the affidavit.” what stopped her from not going to her dorm???? sounds like a feminist on a witch-hunt to me.

• None of us were there. We don’t know the details and can’t say what happened. Maybe she knew she was in danger but didn’t have the motor function or strength to escape her perpetrator. She called her roommate for HELP. You don’t have to be totally sober to operate a telephone. Her level of competency is irrelevant… She is the victim of a crime that she’ll probably never be able to forget and that will probably influence the rest of her life, while you guys are just speculating from the outside like idiots. Get over yourselves and be compassionate before jumping to conclusions and assuming that she’s lying, because after all, who would voluntarily subject themselves to this sort of stress – police reports, affidavits, court – and criticism from fellow classmates in the comments of a newspaper website?? This could happen to ANYONE, male or female, and we need to look out for our friends/loved ones/classmates because no one deserves to be the victim of a crime like this. And, by the way, feminists don’t advocate for 1) trying to get raped and 2) reporting false crimes. In fact, they’re totally against both, as you should be!

• How can you say “None of us were there,” and then state, “she was the victim of a crime” as if you were there? You can’t have it both ways. Either you consider them both innocent until proven guilty or you do not believe that it is possible that what she was taken the wrong way or that she could just possibly be wrong. You are taking a side in your argument without reading court documents. Just because someone accuses someone of something doesn’t make it true. As you said none of us were there. Just imagine if in 2 percent of the cases, the guy is innocent. Can you imagine how royally screwed he is just because someone made the accusation? His life would be ruined regardless of his innocence. It would be wise for all of us to reserve judgment on both him and her until all the facts come out.

3. If she was not 21, she should not have been drinking alcohol.
    That would make her guilty of breaking the law.
    Kind of hard to give true facts when you are so drunk you enter the wrong dorm.