Home » Sports » Football » Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett named Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award semifinalist

Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett named Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award semifinalist

Ohio State redshirt senior quarterback J.T. Barrett (16) signals to the offense in the second quarter of the Ohio State-Iowa game on Nov. 4. Ohio State lost 24-55. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

Though he threw for a personal-record four interceptions in No. 6 Ohio State’s 55-24 loss to Iowa on Saturday, quarterback J.T. Barrett was named a semifinalist for the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award Tuesday.

In his redshirt senior season, Barrett has completed 189-of-280 passes for 2,374 yards, including 28 touchdowns passes and five interceptions. He has added 517 rushing yards on 101 carries.

Saturday against the Hawkeyes, Barrett went 18-for-34 for 208 yards and rushed 14 times for 63 yards. He threw four interceptions, however, the most in his collegiate career. He had only thrown more than two interceptions in a game once — against Virginia Tech in 2014 — before his poor showing against Iowa.

The week prior, Barrett had thrust himself into Heisman Trophy contention with a 33-for-39, 328-passing yard performance in the Buckeyes’ 39-38 comeback win versus Penn State.

Before the season, Barrett was placed on the Davey O’Brien Award watch list. Last week, Barrett was named a semifinalist for the Maxwell Award, given to the nation’s top player.

Barrett’s Buckeyes will be back in action against Michigan State at noon Saturday at Ohio Stadium.

One comment

1. I know you all are still learning, so here’s a tip; a good addition would have been to tell us the other semifinalists…