Ohio State announced Ryan Day, along with Greg Schiano, will become the first million-dollar assistant coaches in Ohio State football history on Feb. 14. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

After paying $700,000 in base salary for its highest-paid assistant coach last season, Ohio State will pay two assistant coaches — associate head coach and defensive coordinator Greg Schiano and offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Ryan Day — at least $1 million in 2018, the university announced Wednesday.

Schiano earned more money than any other Buckeye assistant coach last season and will remain the highest-paid assistant, earning $1.5 million next season in base salary on a one-year deal. His $800,000 raise is a larger sum of money than his 2017 base salary of $700,000. Schiano had been pursued by teams in the NFL as an assistant coach and in the NCAA as a head coach.

Day, who was promoted from co-offensive coordinator to offensive coordinator after the season, will earn a $1 million base salary next season. He signed a three-year deal, according to Ohio State.

Ohio State co offensive coordinator Greg Schiano (middle, in red), leads into the air after the Buckeyes beat Penn State 39-38 on Oct. 28 at Ohio Stadium. Credit: Ashley Nelson | Station Manager

“The reality is we have to compensate people consistent with the expectations and their performance,” Athletics Director Gene Smith said last week.

Ohio State anticipates all 10 assistant coaches will be in the top-three in base salary in the Big Ten at their respective positions, according to a release.

Every other returning assistant coach, except for linebackers coach Bill Davis, will receive raises. Davis, who earned $500,000 in his first season as an Ohio State coach, will be paid the same amount in 2018.

Offensive coordinator and tight ends coach Kevin Wilson earned a $150,000 raise and will make $800,000 next season. He will have the third-highest base salary of the program’s 10 assistant coaches. Defensive line coach Larry Johnson’s base salary will increase from $575,225 to $750,000 in 2018, making him the fourth-highest paid Ohio State assistant coach.

Former Washington State defensive coordinator Alex Grinch was hired as a defensive assistant coach and will have an $800,000 base salary next year. His specific role as an assistant has not been announced. Taver Johnson was hired Tuesday as Ohio State’s cornerbacks coach and will make $345,000 in base salary.

In 2018, running backs coach Tony Alford will make $525,000, which is $75,000 more than he made last season. Offensive line coach Greg Studrawa will receive a $90,000 pay bump to raise his base salary to $500,000.

Wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator Zach Smith received a $40,000 raise, but will be the lowest-paid assistant coach, making $340,000. He is the only remaining member of Urban Meyer’s first staff at Ohio State.

The Lantern requested contracts of each assistant coach, but has yet to receive the documents, which will include bonuses, supplemental income and other amenities.