The Veterinary Medical Center is located on 601 Vernon L. Tharp Street. Credit: Ris Twigg | Assistant Photo Editor

Ohio State’s Veterinary Clinical and Professional Skills Laboratory is receiving a facelift. Ongoing construction aimed at enhancing students’ educational experience is installing new technology and modernizing the space.

The total cost of the construction project, slated to end in August, is $9.3 million, said Dan Hedman, a spokesman for the Office of Administration and Planning.

The new state-of-the-art laboratory will be used by veterinary students to enhance clinical and communication skills, said Rustin Moore, dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine.

“The skills lab will utilize both high- and low- fidelity models, be outfitted with the latest in technology and include 3D-printing capability,” Moore said. “The new training environment includes spaces that are realistic to actual client or patient processes and spaces.”

As for the construction, Moore said it will provide an opportunity for students to get hands-on clinical and communication instruction starting in their first and second years of the veterinary curriculum.

“This will start building skills and better prepare students for their fourth clinical year, allowing them to use their final year to focus on refining their skills,” Moore said.

Prior to the laboratory’s construction, the College of Veterinary Medicine received a $39 million donation from The Stanton Foundation. A chunk of the funding went toward the update, and another portion established the Building Preeminence in Veterinary General Practice Education program, which is designed to increase the graduation rate and general practice of veterinary students.

He said the space will allow students to learn at their own pace and increase professional confidence, self-awareness and lifelong learning for students.

“Once [the project is] completed, this lab will represent the most advanced clinical and professional training facility in the field of veterinary medicine,” Moore said.