Ohio State redshirt junior goalie Kassidy Sauve (32) prepares for a shot in the first period of the game against Minnesota on Jan. 19. Ohio State won 3-2. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

The Ohio State women’s hockey team’s improbable season came to a close Friday night when it fell 1-0 to the defending NCAA champions, top-seeded Clarkson, in sudden death overtime in the semifinals of the Frozen Four.

The Buckeyes and the Knights entered the tournament as the top teams from their respective conferences. It was the first time in program history the Buckeyes appeared in the Frozen Four and the third consecutive appearance for the Knights.

Ohio State and Clarkson headed into overtime after three scoreless periods despite 63 combined shots.

Clarkson broke the scoreless tie and advanced to the national championship game when  freshman forward Loren Gabel scored the game’s only goal 16:12 into overtime. Clarkson freshman forward Elizabeth Giguere and sophomore forward Michaela Pejzlova were credited with assists.

Although the game was scoreless until overtime, excitement struck in the second period when a Buckeye puck shot by redshirt sophomore defender Jincy Dunne passed Clarkson senior goaltender Shea Tiley. But the Ohio State goal was negated due to a penalty.

The Buckeyes outshot Clarkson with 41 shots on net, but Tiley saved every shot. Ohio State redshirt junior goaltender Kassidy Sauve saved 33 of the 34 shots that came her way.

The winner of the second semifinal game between Colgate and Wisconsin will take on Clarkson for the NCAA championship on Sunday.