Junior setter Sanil Thomas (3) sets the ball to redshirt junior middle blocker Blake Leeson (11) as he prepares to spike. Credit: Ris Twigg | Assistant Photo Editor

The No. 9 Ohio State men’s volleyball team (19-4, 10-2 MIVA) will head to its final road matchup with a chance to lock up the top seed in the MIVA after defeating the Lewis Flyers 3-0 Saturday night.  

No. 10 Lewis University (16-10, 7-5 MIVA) had previously beaten the Buckeyes 3-0 when it hosted Ohio State on Feb 22. This time, on the Buckeyes’ home court, it was the scarlet and gray that came out on top.

Though Ohio State and Lewis are offensive teams that rely primarily on the speed and power of their attacks, Lewis could not seem to turn tonight’s match in its favor. Flyers redshirt sophomore outside hitter Ryan Coenen had only 11 kills in tonight’s match — a stark contrast from his career-high 21 kills in the two teams’ last meeting.

All three of Ohio State’s senior outside hitter Nicolas Szerszen, senior outside hitter Maxime Hervoir and redshirt freshman opposite hitter Jake Hanes played consistently, racking up 12 or more points each.

The first set of the night set the tone for the next two, with the Buckeyes defeating Lewis 25-18. Ohio State surpassed Lewis in both serving — with three service aces while Lewis had zero — and attacking — six more kills than Lewis — to give Ohio State the offensive advantage in the first set.

Hanes and Coenen led their respective teams in kills in the first set with five kills each.

The second set looked much like the first, with the Buckeyes beating Lewis again, 25-18. Hervoir came alive in the second set, lending his team six kills. Szerszen kept Lewis’ attacks off the floor in the back with four digs.

The third and final set of the night ended in victory proved to be all the Buckeyes needed to finish off the game. With the score at 24-19 in favor of Ohio State, Lewis junior middle blocker Danny Maurer got caught in the net and crashed down on his right leg before falling to the ground with a visible fracture. Though the point would likely have gone in Lewis’ favor, Lewis head coach Dan Friend gave the point to Ohio State, ending the set and match 25-19.

Officially seated in the top-two for MIVA, Ohio State will host quarterfinals on April 14.