Senior infielder Ashley Goodwin powers through the ball during the Sep. 24 game against Wright State. Ohio State defeated Wright State 4-1. Credit: Gretchen Rudolph | For The Lantern

What Ohio State head coach Kelly Kovach Schoenly called a “creative Rutgers offense” could not get anything going against the Ohio State softball team this weekend.

The No. 23 ranked Buckeyes swept the Scarlet Knights on the road in a series that brought Ohio State to 24-8 on the season and 5-4 in the Big Ten. Kovach Schoenly’s team outscored the Scarlet Knights 28-8, hitting nine home runs while out-hitting Rutgers 36-18.

Game 1

Ohio State needed just six innings in the first game of the series, knocking three home runs on Friday.Junior shortstop Lilli Piper, senior first baseman Ashley Goodwin and senior catcher Becca Gavin each cashed in home runs to contribute to the Buckeyes’ 12-3 win.

The 12 runs was a season high for Ohio State.

Piper had four RBI in addition and senior pitcher Shelby McCombs went 2-for-2 with a double. Junior right fielder Bri Betschel went 2-for-4, hitting two doubles and scoring both times she reached base.

Junior pitcher Morgan Ray had a successful night as well, striking out eight batters to collect her 200th-career strikeout in a complete game.

Game 2

Both teams got off to slow starts, but the Buckeyes took a 1-0 lead in the third inning and piled on five more runs later to finish with a 6-2 score and clinch the series victory.

McCombs had five strikeouts and only allowed two runs and seven hits in a complete game. She also hit the game’s only home run, a solo shot to begin the fourth inning.

Sophomore pinch runner Andi Farrah scored a career-high two runs in the game. Senior outfielder Bailee Sturgeon had a game-high three hits, knocking in a run and scoring a run.

Game 3

The Buckeyes solidified their clean sweep with a 10-3 win Sunday after pouring on 13 hits and holding Rutgers to just six in the final game of the series.

Senior catcher Taylor White, Piper and Sturgeon each added two runs to the board, accounting for six of the 10 scored by Ohio State. Piper and White each smashed two home runs and drove in four runs apiece. Goodwin also hit a solo homer.

Ray pitched six innings in the game. And while she only allowed five hits, she walked seven batters and hit a batter with a pitch. Ray struck out four.

Next Up:

Ohio State will be back at Buckeye Field on April 11 for a double-header against Penn State. The first game begins at 5 p.m. and the second is scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m.