OSU coaches Tony Alford (left) and Zach Smith stand together before the Buckeyes game against Rutgers on Oct. 1. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo Editor

Ohio State wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator Zach Smith has been fired from the university after his ex-wife filed a domestic violence civil protection order, according to a press release sent out by a university spokesman Monday.

“Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer has announced the termination of wide receiver’s coach Zach Smith. Coaching staff adjustments will be announced at a later date,” the team said in the release.

According to a report made by former ESPN writer Brett McMurphy, a domestic violence civil protection order was filed against the assistant coach by his ex-wife Courtney Smith on July 20.

In 2009, Smith, who was an assistant coach at the University of Florida at the time, was arrested in Gainesville, Florida for the aggravated battery of a pregnant female. The police report states that Smith, “grabbed the victim by her t-shirt, picked her up and threw her into a bedroom wall.”

Smith appeared in Delaware County Municipal on July 18 for criminal trespassing and is scheduled to appear again in court on for the final pre-trial on Aug. 22.

Smith was in his seventh season as the wide receivers coach and was also Ohio State’s recruiting coordinator. He also spent five years under head coach Urban Meyer at Florida as a graduate assistant and a quality control assistant.

Smith is the grandson of former Ohio State head coach Earle Bruce.