Ohio State will close the rooftops of two campus parking garages to begin review of safety enhancements Wednesday. Credit: Zach Varda | Campus Editor

Ohio State will close the rooftops of the Ohio Union South and Lane Avenue garages on Wednesday to begin review for safety enhancements, according to an email sent to parking permit holders at the Lane Avenue Garage from the university Tuesday evening.

This follows the release of the suicide and mental health task force recommendations that included action for review of the physical structures of the garages.

“In accordance with the recently released Suicide and Mental Health Task Force report, Ohio State and CampusParc will continue environmental design review of university parking garages and make adjustments accordingly,” the release said. “The safety of our campus community is our top priority.”

On Sept. 11, a student fell from the top of Lane Avenue Parking Garage. He was transported to the hospital, where he later died.

In April, a student and a former student fell from the South Ohio Union Garage. The falls were four days apart from each other and the student died.

Dan Hedman, a spokesperson for the university, said the email was sent to a targeted list of parkers who would be affected by the closed rooftop access.

“For those faculty, staff and students who park in or near these garages and may be considering alternate parking arrangements, please know that we anticipate user demands will continue to be met in Ohio Union South and Lane Avenue garages,” the email said. “A timeline is to be determined.

Hedman said 270 spots will be closed, collectively.

Ohio State’s Counseling and Consultation Service is located on the 4th floor of the Younkin Success Center on Neil Avenue. An additional location is at Lincoln Tower room 1030 on Cannon Drive. The service can be reached at 614-292-5766.

A crisis text line can be reached any day at any hour at 741741. Text “home” to the number for immediate assistance.

The email said to call 911 if you or someone you know is at risk of harming yourself or others and also included links to additional resources offered through Ohio State.

Correction, 9/20 at 4:16 p.m.: The Lantern previously reported the former student died. The student was critically injured.