Ohio State then-freshman goaltender Tommy Nappier covers up a puck during Ohio State’s 4-0 win against Wisconsin on Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018. Credit: Nick Hudak | For The Lantern

The No. 7 Ohio State men’s hockey team split its Big Ten opener with No. 5 Notre Dame after dropping the second game of the road series 2-1.

Ohio State (4-3-1, 1-1) shutout Notre Dame (4-3-1, 1-1) in the first game of the series 1-0 and led or tied most of the game Saturday night before a late goal by the Fighting Irish sealed the 2-1 victory for Notre Dame.

After a scoreless first period featuring 13 shots by each team, senior forward Mason Jobst tallied the first goal of the game in the second period with assists by junior forward Carson Meyer and senior forward Freddy Gerard.

The Fighting Irish quickly tied it up minutes later with an even-strength goal by sophomore forward Colin Theisen.

A scoring drought took place for the rest of the second period and well into the third before Notre Dame senior forward Joe Wegwerth scored the eventual game-winning goal with just under seven minutes remaining.

Ohio State didn’t convert on either of its two power play attempts of the night but killed every penalty they gave Notre Dame, an improvement on the previously lackluster special teams that plagued the Buckeyes through the first part of their season.

The Buckeyes tried to tie the game with what time they had left, bringing sophomore goaltender Tommy Nappier out of the net with around a minute remaining, but their comeback effort fell short.

Nappier allowed two goals and saved 36 shots in his fourth start in the net this season.

The Buckeyes will stay on the road next weekend against Colgate, with the puck dropping on Friday at 7 p.m. and Saturday at 4 p.m.