Ohio State guard Carmen Grande (1) attempts to put up a layup in the second half of the game against Indiana on Jan 10. Ohio State won 55-50. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo Editor

The Ohio State women’s basketball team (8-10, 4-5 Big Ten) led a comeback on the road against Minnesota (13-6, 2-7 Big Ten), going on a 16-0 run in the fourth quarter to clinch a 65-55 victory.

This win marks a turnaround for the Buckeyes after losing their previous two games against Michigan and Maryland.

Freshman forward Aaliyah Patty continued to build off her strong performance in the loss against Maryland by leading Ohio State with a season high 20 points and six rebounds. Patty made her second start of the season in the absence of  freshman forward Dorka Juhasz, who is still sidelined with an ankle sprain.

The Buckeyes spent most of the first half playing from behind, as the Golden Gophers took the lead halfway through the first quarter and did not relinquish it until Ohio State began its comeback in the third quarter.

Redshirt senior guard Carly Santoro was a major part of keeping the Buckeyes in the game by scoring 11 of the team’s 25 points in the first half. Santoro finished the game with 16 points to go along with eight rebounds.

Minnesota extended its lead to seven early in the third quarter, but two 3 pointers from Patty and a 3 from redshirt senior forward Makayla Waterman quickly gave Ohio State the lead. Waterman added nine points, six rebounds and three assists in her performance against the Gophers.

The lead for the Buckeyes did not last long. Minnesota tied the game up at 43 heading into the fourth quarter and briefly took the lead, but then Ohio State got hot and began to run away with the game.

Patty started the streak off for the Buckeyes, getting a pair of free throws and a layup. Patty was followed by contributions from Santoro, Waterman and redshirt senior guard Carmen Grande, who added a 3 pointer of her own. Grande made an impact in multiple areas of the game, scoring six, getting five rebounds and leading the team with eight assists.

Minnesota attempted to mount a comeback, but momentum was on Ohio State’s side and its defense prevailed to clinch the 65-55 road win.

Ohio State will return home to take on the Illinois Fighting Illini Thursday at Value City Arena. Tip off is set for 7:00 p.m.