Members of OSU NAACP pose for a picture in the MLK lounge after a successful event. Credit: Courtesy of Ginette Rhodes

Ohio State’s chapter of the NAACP will hold its second annual “Living Museum” — an event designed to commemorate the achievements of notable African-American figures throughout history — this Saturday in the Frank W. Hale Jr. Black Cultural Center.

The program is a series of performances where students pay tribute to their historical idols through song, rap, poetry or acting.

“We really wanted to find a creative way to showcase history,” Ginette Rhodes, a fourth-year in political science and president of Ohio State’s NAACP chapter, said.

Rhodes said the idea for the program spawned from a similar event she had participated in while she was in elementary school. She said that in the fifth grade, there was a program where students dressed up as their role models and performed in front of their parents.

Leonna Bell, a fourth-year in criminal justice and vice president of Ohio State’s NAACP, said the group received “an overwhelming amount of support” from students and the Columbus community during its first event last year.

The first living museum included prominent figures such as Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Marcus Garvey and Malcolm X — all portrayed by Ohio State students.

“This year we’re trying to incorporate even more history,” Rhodes said. “We want to focus on people who were more than just entertainers.”

NAACP hopes that the audience of the living museum will have a meaningful experience, Rhodes said.

“Not only are events such as these great inspirational tools, but they’re also great for educating the community on the faces and accomplishments that often get overlooked,” Rhodes said.

NAACP’s living museum will take place Saturday in the MLK Lounge of the Hale Center at 7 p.m. Saturday. Everyone is welcome. Admission is free.