Max Rosenberg, a third-year in political science, and Brandon Borgemenke, a third-year in history, are running as write-in candidates for USG vice president and president, respectively. | Credit: Courtesy of Borgemenke-Rosenberg campaign

Although only one team officially appears on the Undergraduate Student Government presidential ballot, they have been challenged by another team running a write-in campaign in an effort to win the election.

Brandon Borgemenke, a third-year in history, and Max Rosenberg, a third-year in political science, are running a write-in campaign for USG president and vice president, respectively, based on the platform of bringing common sense and accountability to student government.

The Borgemenke-Rosenberg campaign chose the slogan “Ohio State Together” because the team wants to create a community where everyone feels involved, Rosenberg said.

“At the end of the day, you’re at college for most likely four years,” Rosenberg said. “This is your home for four years, so let’s do the things that we can do to make everyone connected, to make everyone’s experience the most positive it can be.”.

Borgemenke’s and Rosenberg’s names will not appear on the ballot, but instead the pair is  campaigning to be written in because getting the required materials together to get on the ballot proved to be difficult for USG outsiders, according to Rosenberg.

Neither Borgemenke nor Rosenberg has experience in USG. Borgemenke is a coordinator at Camp Joy, an organization that empowers low-income foster youth from Cincinnati and Dayton, and Rosenberg brings his background as a former regional campus student.

Although they do not have direct experience with USG, the running mates don’t view their lack of experience in the organization as a flaw in their campaign.

“I think it lends us a certain authenticity,” Borgemenke said. “Neither of us are running for a resume.”

If they were to be elected, the team said that their top three priorities are regional campus outreach, mental health and student organization funding.

Making regional campus students feel as if they are part of the greater Buckeye experience is personal to Rosenberg, who was a regional campus student at Newark.

“I just think there are a lot of people who are forgotten about,” Rosenberg said.

The team wants to start by extending initiatives to regional campuses, such as bussing regional students to football games, Rosenberg said.

Borgemenke and Rosenberg want to educate students about options to care for their mental wellness and make sure all Ohio State students feel like they belong, Borgemenke said.

“The big problem I see in this university is you have 40,000 undergraduate students, and we’re in the midst of a mental health crisis,” Borgemenke said. “A lot of these problems come from the fact that people don’t feel connected.”

The pair is also campaigning on more transparency for student organization funding based on the idea that USG should reevaluate how it spends its money, as the pair have analyzed USG’s budget, according to Rosenberg.

The campaign took a stance on student organization funding in a press release posted on Twitter Feb. 28, promising increased funding for student organizations.

“As Buckeyes, we should all strive to help Buckeyes when we can so we can all do the things we love,” the press release said. “USG can, they have the money available and has no problem spending money on themselves.”

The team’s platform also includes restructuring the first year student experience and reviewing Ohio State’s long-term strategic plan, according to their website.

Borgemenke and Rosenberg are running against Kate Greer, a third-year in European history and Geman, and Julia Dennen, a third-year in public affairs, who both have prior experience in USG.

Rosenberg said that they don’t believe this experience in necessary to lead the student body.

“Should we get elected, I think it can really show that you don’t have to be part of the insiders club to get things done,” Rosenberg said. “You can just be that person with a big idea to come out and say, ‘Look, here’s what I have to offer,’ and maybe it inspires some more people to do that.”

Voting is ongoing and concludes Wednesday at 11:59 p.m.