Ohio State freshman infielder Marcus Ernst (28) makes contact with the pitch during the March 24 contest against Hawaii at Nick Swisher Field. The Buckeyes lost 15-3. Credit: Gretchen Rudolph | For The Lantern

Despite trailing 7-3 heading into the eighth inning, Ohio State was able to rally  to end its five-game skid.

In the ninth inning, the Buckeyes (17-16, 2-4 Big Ten)  scored three runs to complete the comeback Tuesday, edging out Ohio (8-22, 3-6 MAC) 10-8.

Sophomore catcher Dillon Dingler was able to deliver a two-run double to left-center field to give the Buckeyes a 10-8 lead in the ninth inning.

With a four-run deficit through seven innings, freshman outfielder Nolan Clegg scored on a passed ball, cutting the Bobcats’ lead to 7-4. Redshirt sophomore catcher Brent Todys then tied the game on one swing, launching a three-run home run to tie the game at 7.

The Buckeyes tallied three more runs in the ninth inning on an RBI single from junior first baseman Conner Pohl and Dingler’s two-RBI double to win their first game since March 30.

Todys finished with three hits and four RBI. Clegg also hit his second home run of the season, finishing the game with three RBI.  

For the Bobcats, redshirt freshman designated hitter Cole Revels tallied five RBI in the game.

On the mound, Ohio State freshman pitcher Will Pfenning struggled, allowing five earned runs on five hits and two walks in three innings of work.

After allowing three runs in the next 4.2 innings of work, junior left-handed pitcher Andrew Magno was able to keep the Bobcats off the scoreboard for the remaining 1.1 innings, allowing one hit and striking out two.

Ohio State will take on Dayton at 6:35 p.m. Wednesday at Bill Davis Stadium.