Police block off the intersection of 18th Avenue and High Street following a shooting outside of McDonald's in Columbus on August 25. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Managing Editor for Multimedia
Ohio State sent out an active attacker Buckeye Alert at 1:37 a.m. Sunday morning regarding an active shooter near McDonald’s on High Street. Credit: Courtesy of Alex Blazer
Police block North Pearl Street, behind the McDonald's parking lot where shots were fired. Credit: Jack Long | Special Projects Director
A Columbus Police detective interviews a witness in front of the McDonald's. Credit: Jack Long | Special Projects Director
Police cordoned off the McDonald's parking lot. Police were seen shining flashlights into the parked cars. Credit: Jack Long | Special Projects Director
Detectives speak near the McDonald's. Credit: Jack Long | Special Projects Director
An officer stands where a witness said an altercation occurred between four men before shots were fired. Credit: Jack Long | Special Projects Director

One person is in stable condition after a shooting early Sunday morning in the parking lot of the McDonald’s on the Ohio State campus.

The victim is expected to survive after suffering a gunshot wound to his thigh. Columbus Police identified Wesley N. Powers Jr. as the  victim in a press release on Twitter. 

According to the release, Powers was shot once in his thigh after the suspect fired several times in the McDonald’s parking lot. Powers ran inside the McDonald’s and out through the front door and collapsed in front of Pita Pit at 1988 N. High St. 

Powers was transported to Ohio State Wexner Medical Center in stable condition, according to the release.

The victim is not a student, police said, and there is no suspect yet in custody. 

A tweet from Ohio State Police at 1:54 a.m. described the suspect as “male wearing a cowboy hat and black hoodie.” The suspect has not yet been identified.

“There were several witnesses at scene, but they were unable to provide any additional suspect description,” the release said. 

According to a tweet and Buckeye Alert from Ohio State Emergency Management, the suspect fled east away from campus, and police said there is no ongoing threat.

Ohio State sent out an initial Buckeye Alert at 1:36 a.m. Sunday warning students of an active shooter near the McDonald’s. A 2:35 a.m. Buckeye Alert stated the suspect targeted a specific individual and there is no ongoing threat to campus.

A witness at the scene said there was an altercation in the parking lot between a group of four men prior to the shooting. Police tape cordoned off the area from East 18th to West 18th avenues, while more than a dozen police cars occupied the stretch of High Street.

Inside nearby Buckeye Donuts, patrons dropped to the floor after hearing the shots.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.