Ohio State then-freshman guard Janai Crooms (3) goes up for a shot against Penn State Feb 6. Ohio State won 78-73. Credit: Cori Wade | Assistant Photo Editor

After a loss in its home opener Sunday, Ohio State women’s basketball is looking to come back and defeat another in-state team, the Kent State Golden Flashes.

One factor for the Buckeyes (2-1) against Kent State (3-1) will be limiting turnovers. Ohio State had 20 in its 6-point loss to Ohio Sunday. 

“We have goals set for that, so I think we just have to continue to grow in that area,” sophomore forward Aaliyah Patty said. 

Ohio State head coach Kevin McGuff said the team goal for turnovers will be 15 or less.

McGuff said the Golden Flashes boast some of the nation’s fastest guards, and leading scorers sophomore Asiah Dingle and freshman Katie Schumate have gotten off to hot starts this season.

Dingle, who averages a team-high 15 points per game,  finished with 17 points, six rebounds and three assists against Purdue Fort Wayne this past Saturday.

Schumate is putting up 14.8 per game out of the backcourt and had 17 points in the season opener against Duquesne. 

Redshirt senior Megan Carter is the third Kent State guard scoring in double-digits this season at 10 points per game and dropped 18 points and five rebounds against Youngstown State Nov. 9.

“They’re really good. They’re talented, and they’re well coached,” McGuff said.

Ohio State freshman guard Kierstan Bell went 0-for-7 from 3-point range against Ohio, but she was more concerned with helping the team defensively and trying to learn from the close loss.

“I was just worried about defense and knowing their personnel and not letting their people score,” Bell said. “We fell a little short at the end, but it’s all about learning and getting better every day, so we came in here and got better and paid attention to detail and now we’re looking forward to Kent.”

The game will be at Kent State — a homecoming of sorts for Bell, who hails from Canton, Ohio. She said she’s been working to get tickets for her former teammates, family and friends to come see her play.

The game will be a test of the Buckeyes’ resiliency, as seven freshmen have now experienced their first collegiate loss.

“It’s something we have to learn from. It’s so early on in the season, and we’re still learning. We’re still growing,” Patty said. “It’s just something we have to watch film and see where we messed up and continue to grow in those areas.”

Tipoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Kent State.