Ohio State sophomore quarterback Justin Fields (1) looks to pass the ball during the second half of the game against Wisconsin on Oct. 26. Ohio State won 38-7. Credit: Amal Saeed | Photo Editor

For the second straight season, an Ohio State quarterback has won the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year.

Following Dwayne Haskins this past season, sophomore quarterback Justin Fields was announced as the conference’s top player on the offensive side of the ball Wednesday.

With 37 passings scores and 1o on the ground, Fields is just seven touchdowns behind Haskins’ single-season school record 54 total touchdowns.

Fields has the third-most passing touchdowns in the nation, and has thrown only one interception on the year during the Buckeyes’ 12-0 regular season.

The Georgia native has run for a team third-best 470 yards on top of his 2,654 passing yards.

Fields is the fourth Ohio State quarterback to win the award dating back to 1990 –– the first year it was given. Before Haskins, Braxton Miller won the award in both 2012 and 2013, and Troy Smith won it in 2006 during his Heisman Trophy-winning campaign.

Outside of passers, former running backs Ezekiel Elliott and Eddie George were given the honor in 2015 and 1995, respectively, and former offensive lineman Orlando Pace won the award in 1996.

If Ohio State qualifies for the National Championship, Fields will play three more games this season, but here’s how his numbers through 12 games stack up against the previous Buckeye quarterbacks to win the award:

Justin Fields (2019):

• 37 passing touchdowns
  • 1 interception
  • 2,654 passing yards
  • 68.2 percent passing
  • 10 rushing touchdowns

Dwayne Haskins (2018):

• 50 passing touchdowns
  • 8 interceptions
  • 4,831 passing yards
  • 70 percent passing
  • 4 rushing touchdowns

Braxton Miller (2013):

• 24 passing touchdowns
  • 7 interceptions
  • 2,094 passing yards
  • 63.5 percent passing
  • 12 rushing touchdowns

Braxton Miller (2012):

• 15 passing touchdowns
  • 6 interceptions
  • 2,039 passing yards
  • 58.3 percent passing
  • 13 rushing touchdowns

Troy Smith (2006):

• 30 passing touchdowns
  • 6 interceptions
  • 2,542 passing yards
  • 65.3 percent passing
  • 1 rushing touchdown