Aqua ZUMBA is one of three new classes offered at the RPAC during Fall Semester. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Fusion workout classes, such as cycle yoga fusion, are the latest addition to the RPAC’s group fitness schedule this semester.

Kristen Nesvacil, senior assistant director of RPAC Fitness Programs and Services, said fusion classes, which are group fitness classes combining two or more styles of exercise in one class, are popular right now because people are realizing the importance of combining multiple exercises into a workout.

“People want to get the most bang out of their buck,” Nesvacil said. “People are starting to realize that only sitting on the treadmill isn’t going to get you the results you need.”

Alice Adams, Group Fitness graduate administrative assistant, said fusion workouts will help students keep their workouts interesting.

“People in the fitness world are always looking for something new,” Adams said.

Using surveys from previous group fitness class participants, the RPAC staff made the decision to offer the following versions of their more popular classes.

Aqua ZUMBA:
This latest addition to the water class schedule is exactly what the title sounds like: ZUMBA in a pool. ZUMBA is a Latin-inspired cardio dance workout typically done on dry land, but doing the class in a pool means less impact on joints and more incorporation of traditional water aerobic elements and resistance. Adams, who is an Aqua ZUMBA instructor, said the pool also provides an added benefit of privacy.

“Nobody can see you,” Adams said. “That’s what I tell participants who are nervous because, ‘Oh, I can’t dance.’”

The class is great for people of any fitness level because its low impact style is good for beginners or as a recovery workout, Adams said. There is no dance or swim experience required.

Meghan Olson, a first-year in biology, took the class and said she enjoyed how different it was from traditional ZUMBA.

“This was a lot more fun, I think,” Olson said. “It was so cool that it was in the water.”

Aqua ZUMBA is offered Mondays at 5:30 p.m. and Fridays at 2 p.m.

Cycle Yoga Fusion:
This class is one of three different cycling courses offered at the RPAC, but it is the only one that includes relaxation and stretching into the traditionally intense workout.

“It’s a good balance of high cardio and more of a deep stretching, recovery type of workout,” Nesvacil said.

The first 30 minutes of the class are spent cycling, and for the last 30 minutes, participants leave the bikes to do a restorative yoga session.

Nesvacil said this is also a good class for all fitness levels because participants can choose how intense they want the cycling portion to be and it’s also appropriate for beginners in yoga.

“If you have never done a yoga class, it might be a good start because you’re just committing to 30 minutes instead of a full hour,” she said.

Cycle Yoga Fusion is offered Monday at 9:10 a.m and Wednesday at 8:20 a.m.

SHOCKWAVE:
This fusion of Indo-Row, which “captures all the elements of competitive, on-water rowing,” according to the Indo-Row website, and strength training rotates between three stations focusing on arms, legs and core with an additional rowing station.

“It’s like boot camp with the rowers,” Nesvacil said.

This class is open to all fitness levels, although it is a higher intensity class and one that best lends itself to more competitive participants, Nesvacil said.

“You rotate when the last person is finished rowing, so you have to row as hard as you can because you don’t want to be last,” Nesvacil said.

Nesvacil said this class is popular with mens, which she considers a “great addition to the fitness lineup” because many group fitness classes attract more women than men.

SHOCKWAVE is offered Tuesdays and Fridays at 4:25 p.m., Wednesdays at 4:15 p.m. and Thursdays at 5:45 p.m.