Ohio State’s board of trustees has approved naming one of OSU’s green spaces in memory of Jean Hansford, a former university employee who died in January 2002 after a heart attack. To approve this, the trustees waived part of the university’s administrative code regarding naming buildings and areas after university employees.

Hansford served as the senior campus planner in the Office of Facilities Planning and Development. He played a vital role in the preservation and creation of green spaces at OSU, including the North and South Ovals. Hansford was also a strong supporter of Ohio Staters, Inc. for his nearly four decades at OSU.

“He loved everything about Ohio State, especially the students,” said Ryan Frazee, a senior in political science, and an active member of Staters.

Frazee has been a leader in naming the green space for Hansford. By working with John Meyer, acting vice president for the office of development, the Jean Hansford Quadrangle will reflect Hansford’s love for OSU, and his dedication to preserving its green areas.

“Jean Hansford was a driving force here and the impact of his involvement is seen all across campus,” said Jill Morelli, university architect. “His love of the campus and the undergraduates was incredible,” she said.

The green space to be named for Hansford is bounded by Denney Hall on the south, Lord Hall on the east, the Science and Engineering Library on the west, and West 18th Avenue on the north.

“Right now the approval is there, but the actual dedication of the area is not likely to occur until autumn quarter,” Frazee said. He said Staters is continuing to raise money to install a plaque there in Hansford’s memory.

Julie Karovics, landscape architect, is an OSU employee working on getting a plaque cast for the green space. “We’re going to attach it to a rock from the Larkins Hall excavation, which came from a Lake Erie glacier,” she said. “It should be a great way to recognize Jean’s role as a campus planner.”