For those students interested in having fun while giving back to the community have to look no further than this year’s Buckeyethon. The 14-hour dance marathon will take place Feb. 7 in the Ohio Union ballrooms.

“With all the traditions involving academics and athletics at this university, this is a great way to be a part of one that involves helping kids,” said Stephanie Shertzer, co-director of this year’s Buckeyethon. “I had heard of other dance marathons and thought it was a great way to raise money.”

In its third year, Buckeyethon continues to raise money for the Columbus Children’s Hospital. In two years, the event has raised about $66,000 for the hospital. This year’s goal is $50,000.

“We definitely expect to reach our goal this year,” said Aftab Pureval, another co-director of the event. “We’re well ahead of where we were the first two years, so I expect this to be the most successful year-to-date.”

There are several ways in which the Buckeyethon raises money, including through corporate sponsorships and local organizations. Among this year’s main sponsors are the Ohio Union, Residence Hall Advisory Council, Baja Fresh and USG.

“Our sponsors are great because they don’t just write us a check,” Pureval said. “They’re willing to not only donate money, but also their time and resources to help put this event on.”

The Children’s Hospital is proud to be a beneficiary of the funds raised through Buckeyethon.

“Over the past two years, Buckeyethon has raised more than $60,000 for patient care, research and education at Children’s Hospital,” said Abby Mitchell, director of the Children’s Miracle Network. “We hope that Ohio State University students, faculty and staff will embrace the opportunity to become involved with an event that impacts thousands of children of the community.”

The coordinators added Better than Ezra to this year’s event, hoping to spark interest and get more people involved in the dance marathon.

“We’re really excited to bring a band with name recognition like Better than Ezra to our event this year,” Pureval said. “Hopefully it’ll get some more people interested and help us raise more money for the Children’s Hospital.”

The theme of this year’s event is “A Day at the Movies” and will include special activities throughout the day. Each hour of the marathon will be dedicated to a specific movie, such as “Dirty Dancing” and “The Wedding Singer.”

While the dance marathon is going on, Children’s Hospital patients and their families will attend Buckeyethon as guests of honor.

“It’s great to have the kids there at the event so that everyone involved can see the smiles on their faces and really know that the work they put in is making a difference,” Shertzer said.

The contribution by the students involved in Buckeyethon does not stop at the conclusion of the dance marathon. Buckeyethon dancers and members of the event steering committee interact with Children’s Hospital patients throughout the year. They take tours of the hospital and volunteer at other Children’s Hospital fund-raisers.

For more information on how to get involved in Buckeyethon, go to 211 Ohio Union or visit www.ohiounion.com/buckeyethon.