A speech by legendary talk show host Jerry Springer is anything but typical or boring – even when it is about politics.

Springer, who had served as Cincinnati mayor, ran for governor and once worked for Robert Kennedy, spoke to about 125 people at the Ohio Union yesterday on his tour across Ohio. He reached out to people to get out and vote.

Springer said the country can not survive another four years of President George W. Bush.

“Young people have to get stirred up – we’re losing the middle class in America,” Springer said.

Although he plans to back whomever the democratic nominee is, Springer said his speech was not intended to endorse a particular candidate.

Springer said he is a Democrat because the party has led all the major causes – the push for Social Security, Civil Rights movement, the equal rights amendment and the environmental movement.

In addition to those movements he spoke in length about the equality for gays in America and the idea of same sex marriages.

“Civil unions. Yes. Period,” Springer said. “Bush’s amendment is drawing a line in the sand asking for a war. It creates arguments, anger and hate.”

Springer did not rule out a potential senate run in 2006 when laying out his platform.

“Some day I may run, (2006) is a possibility,” Springer said. “If we don’t make college education affordable to middle and low class people we are beginning to look at the end of the American Century.”

He expanded and explained his ideas on education.

“The first thing we have to do is have a massive commitment to early childhood education. In the troubled schools the class size should be no more than 15,” Springer said. “Secondly, free college tuition to anyone who majors in math, science or nursing and agrees to teach in the troubled school districts for four years.”

Students in the audience responded well his plan.

“Jerry’s message of more funding for education really connected with me as my tuition continues to go up,” said Aftab Pureval, junior in political science.

Those who are able to get a higher education in Ohio, the availability for jobs has decreased in the past years.

“More young people are leaving this state than any other in the union,” Springer said. “We’ve lost 200,000 jobs in three years.”

Springer also was critical on Bush’s foreign policies and Iraq.

“The president is so out of touch… he doesn’t have a clue,” Springer said. “Iraq is like taking a bat to a beehive. We never have been this unsafe because of the policies of this president.”

With such a negative tone towards politics, Springer took special attention to those who are studying to be politicians.

“Politics is not a career, it is a religion, a passion,” Springer said. “Treat politics as something you really believe in.”

His message rang true for aspiring politicians whom were in attendance.

“The word politician has such a negative connotation, he’s a public servant,” said Ryan Jolley, president of the College Democrats, who arranged the event. “I really appreciate him coming and having a candid discussion about real issues and getting involved.”

While hanging out in the Union Springer spent about two hours helping people signup to vote.

Springer showed his Ohio roots as he ran into students associated with his personal and political family.