Undergraduate Student Government campaigning kicked off yesterday with the first of three debates. The informal debate was held in Independence Hall with a sparse crowd consisting mostly of campaign teams.

Over-funding of university research was a concern that all candidates agreed upon.

“More money should be focused on the undergraduate experience and not as much on research,” said James Conway, vice presidential candidate on the Weiss-Conway ticket.

The direction of the funding was a focus for the candidates.

“I believe the issue that is underfunded is just the general classroom,” said Aftab Pureval, presidential candidate.

He said he would like to see more money going toward smaller class sizes.

“Part of it is that research is not a bad thing,” said Jarrod Weiss, presidential candidate. “It just needs to find that balance.”

Kara Silverman, vice presidential candidate of the Jolley-Silverman ticket, said she was more concerned with what types of research the university is paying for.

“I feel that the money we give to research could be better spent other than just on science and math,” Silverman said.

In addition to the direction of the research money, the Jolley-Silverman ticket was sympathetic toward a broader education.

“The fact of the matter is that research brings money into the university, so it’s a necessary part of Ohio State’s culture,” said Ryan Jolley, presidential candidate. “However, the undergraduate education should not be sacrificed for that need for revenue.”

The teams also addressed methods of opening communication dialogue with students.

“It’s not just about polling students; it’s about talking to students,” said Deb Mason, vice presidential candidate.

One plan to reach a larger number of students and increase involvement is to update USG’s Web site, giving students a variety of information and opportunities.

“We want to expand the Web site,” Mason said. “The current USG Web site, sadly, is pathetic.”

Elizabeth Ghandakly, presidential candidate, said she would focus on direct communication with students.

“USG needs to be more ‘in-your-face.’ It needs to be more of a clear force on your campus,” Ghandakly said.

The crowd had mixed reactions to the debate.

“(The candidates) just really aren’t that different on a lot of issues,” said John Vanorio, a freshman in political science. “I’d like to see candidates take more of a stance on things USG can actually control – things like meal plans.”

Katey Price, a junior in political science, said the candidates presented a lot of issues that need to be addressed on campus.

“The debate is an effective tool for students to know what candidates stand for,” Price said.

“I think safety needs to be addressed more, especially on the off-campus area. All candidates have touched on it, but I’d like to understand what they think about the issue,” Price said.

Geoffrey Moes said the money spent by the Ohio Union Activities Board should be reviewed.

“Using these monies effectively enough to benefit all students (would be better),” Moes said. “What we would like to do is bring a full circle of activities to campus.”

The candidates will debate again at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Sigma Alpha Mu house and at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Fawcett Center.