Men’s Cross Country

Coach Robert Gary will once again be leading a men’s cross country team into the season with lofty goals. Returning three senior team captains – Brian Olinger, Dan Glaz and Matt Penza – the Buckeyes will compete in the best cross country conference in the nation with hopes for a spot in the 2005 NCAA Championship meet for the fifth time in six years.

“Our goal is to be top three in the conference and to compete at NCAAs,” Gary said.

Gary will count on youth, including a strong freshman class featuring high school All-Americans Jeff See and Levi Fox.

“We’ve got a good sophomore class, and I’m looking for them to contribute,” Gary said. “Jeff and Levi can also contribute.”

The Buckeyes return Olinger, an All-American who recently ran the second fastest collegiate time in the 3000-meter steeplechase while touring Europe this summer.

The men’s cross country team kicks off its 2005 season Sept. 10 at the Xavier Invitational.

-Nicholas Daubenmire

Women’s volleyball

Coming off of last years successful season, going 17-3 in the Big Ten and 30-4 overall, the women’s volleyball team will have similar goals to years past: to win the Big Ten conference and make the NCAA tournament in December, said coach Jim Stone. Although setter Marisa Main and outside hitter Ami Stevens are both on the preseason All-Big Ten team, Stone still said there are kinks that need worked out.

“We have to replace a lot of offense due to graduation,” Stone said. “We’re also trying to become a better defensive team, so there are and will be some challenges.”

The Buckeyes return four sophomores and three juniors with extensive experience and varsity letters to their credentials. Stone said those players are key to the team’s success.

“The returning starters will have to step up because of the players lost,” Stone said. “There is a lot expected out of them.”

The season begins Aug. 28 at St. John Arena against Toledo.

-Nicholas Daubenmire

Men’s soccer

The men’s soccer team will hit the field coming off a banner season that saw the Buckeyes advance to the round of 16 in the NCAA Tournament.

The Buckeyes lose a talented senior class that was led by forward Justin Cook, the Big Ten Player of the Year. Nonetheless, there is a stable of talent returning.

Perhaps the best returning player is senior goalkeeper Ray Burse Jr., who earned second-team All Big-Ten honors while accumulating a 0.87 goals-against average.

The strength continues out from the back. Three of the four defenders return from last season’s team that allowed only four goals in its final 12 games.

Up front, the Buckeyes will have to replace Cook. The forward position next to Cook was a bit of a revovling door last season, but this year those players must step up. Senior Kevin Nugent – Mike’s brother – will be the top striker and will be joined by sophomores Xavier Balc and David Bauer.

The season starts Sept. 2 against Marquette at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.

-Jeff Svoboda